Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Bridge Too Far

Sorry, I could not resist that.
    Here is a photo off of ebay of a hanging suspension bridge that seems to work the other way round. Any comments?? I have never seen such a thing. It was titled a hanger ferry.
    Bill
    Attached Files

Puente colgante de Bilbao

Comment

Gracias mi amigo:

the composition of the photo I posted did not indicate a complete side to side mechanism as your photo does.

Is this system common in Europe?? Certainly not here in the US.
      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Murray
        Is this system common in Europe?? Certainly not here in the US.
        Bill
        Certainly not here as well. I have also never seen such a bridge.

Comment

Hi everyone:
          Try this link and you´ll find a complete description and history of this bridge, built in 1893.
          http://213.96.147.219/puente%20colga.../portadaIN.htm
          Regards. Óscar

Comment

... The history of the bridge is connected with the Spanish Civil War:
            "The Spanish Civil War broke out in 1936, with the Bridge as witness to the cruel events that took place. Several bombings damaged it throughout the war, without serious consequences. Unfortunately, in June 1937, as enemy troops approached, the Northern Army Engineers received the order to destroy any means of crossing the Nervion in order to hinder the advance of Franco's troops. In the early hours of June 17th 1937 an explosion destroys the bridge; the crossbar dives into the Nervion. Paradoxically, the war ends [in Bilbao area] three days later on June 22nd.
            A few days later the bridge is destroyed dredging work is undertaken in the river to allow access to the Furnace located in Sestao, as well as various other factories on both banks of the Nervion. Reconstruction work on the Bridge would have to wait a further two years".

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X