Comment

13 rear
              Attached Files

Comment

14 front
                Attached Files

Comment

14 rear

This is the last one. I sincerely hope that the nature and content of this series is not deemed offensive by anyone. If so, I will request the moderator to delete the thread.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Those are some rare photos of an execution in Holland. I have no idea about the name "Brauniker", perhaps it is the last name or the term of abuse of the Dutch man being shot? Anyway, as the date (26.9.42) and a precise location (Scheveningen) are known, I'm pretty sure some Dutch member may be able to find out who is the person in the photos.

Comment

Having looked at this thread a couple of times here are some thoughts: The only way the funeral procession may be connected to the execution is that perhaps the guy being shot had something to do with the german that was being buried. I don't think you give elaborate funerals to people you execute and if he was dutch you certainly don't put the nazi state flag on his casket. So, either we have an execution of a specific member of the dutch resistance or a reprisal execution. I go with the first since most reprisal operations would have more attendees on the recieving end.
                      Don
                      Don
                      pseudo-expert

Comment

This is really a great piece of history coming to life through photos! Thank you, Tim, for another good contribution. We are seeing a very formal and strict execution of a man named "Braunneker", which in my opnion is the wrongly spelled last name (it sounds Dutch: Bruyn... ?) of most likely a partisan or a saboteur cought in, possibly, the aftermath of an attack on the German Kriegsmarine which resulted in a death.

Notice how very precise every photo is captioned on the back. Photos were taken by the son of the officer, some photos say for example "Vati, ganz links" (dad on the left - the officer). Every commando of the Officer ("Legt an!", "Gebt feuer!") is recorded. On photo number 9 you see the "death and casket commando", the group of soldiers tasked with the correct burial of the executed person. On photo number 10 it is written: tying him to the cross, some seconds before execution.

Comment

Maybe you can contact the Dutch NIOD ( Netherlands institute for war documentation ) www.niod.nl I think that they can tell you more about this execution. I also think that these photo's are very important for Dutch ww2 history and I think that the niod would like scans for there archive.

Afterall, information not shared is lost !

Comment

Hi Tim,

Great photo-serie you have there.

I don't think we see a resistance fighter.
                            The uniform just looks german Navy, blue jacket and white trouser.
                            I think the name is somehow misspelled.

Karl Braunecker, Bootmaat : 13.03.1895 - 26.09.142.
                            So we are looking at the execution of a german Kriegsmarine soldier.

yours
                            Eric-Jan Bakker

Comment

Sorry: rank = Bootsmaat.

Eric-Jan Bakker

Comment

Great research work Eric-Jan!
                                This must be the guy, as he is burried in Holland (Ysselsteyn).

Perhaps Braunecker had killed the guy burried in the first series?
                                Either that, or it is Braunecker himself in the burrial.
                                Or the third option, both series are not related. I guess we'll never know, as the burrial photos are not captionned.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X