Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Award document flak abt "das reich"

Hello,

I recently bought this award document. I have some doughts if this award is real.
    Hopefully anyone can help me with the research on this document.
    I would like to know if the SS flak abt. 5 was ever under the command of the 2nd SS panzer division das Reich and if anyone knows of the stamp is for real.
    Perhaps anyone can also say if this award is fake or not.
    I've checked the Forman's Volume 1 (in which a Fritz Bonke is also mentioned on a Ostmedaille award page 238.....), but I'm not quit satisfied to say definitly that the document is a fake or real.

Regards,

Jeroen Appel

Sorry but i don't like this one at all.

SS-Flak-Abt.5 was formed on 22.10.1943 from SS-Flak.Abt. Wiking of the 5 SS-Pz.Div. 'Wiking'

To name just one thing.

Simon
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

ss Flak abt 5

Hello Simon,

Indeed, that what I thought in the first place. But... There was a ss flak abteilung 5 already in 1941. (see picture below for instance, that's not the only one, I found more. By the way, the document below is not mine)
      Puzzeling isn't it!

Regards,

Jeroen

Comment

Well although Tessin doesn't mention the unit being around that early in the war the divisional history of 'Wiking' does refer to it as SS Flak Abteilung 5 in 1941 and i would personally go for that as being more acurate.

The way in which the unit designation is written isn't even correct either.
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Flak

Hi Simon,

oke, in which way do you mean. What would be the correct way?
          By the way, I've lived in Tromsoe for 4 month a while ago. Do you work for the university (Universitetet i Tromsø)?

Ha det bra!

Regards,

Jeroen

Comment

Hi Jeroen
            Well you will see the correct way in the second document. 2./ SS flak Abteilung 5.

What i would have expected to see would be something like 1./ SS Flak Abt. 5. 'Fl' and 'bat' are incorrect abbreviations.

I also have the names of 3 men who commanded the abteilung in 1942. Diebitsch, Braun and Kurz. It looks like Braun signed the second document but i don't think Diebitsch fits that signature and Kurz certainly doesn't.

I also don't like the wording 'Der Kommandeur, SS-Sturmbannführer' , again i would have expected to see the rank and title typed in the manner of the second document.

Regards

Simon

PS. No i don't work up at the university but for a local IT company.

Comment

Fake

Hi Simon,

thanks for the info. So it is probably a fake one. :-(

I will display the award on my internet page so that other collectors can compare.

Regards,

Jeroen

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X