Fake SS Photo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake SS Photo?

I recently got this photo. I was a little exited as the SS man in the photo looks to have a foreign shield on his right sleeve.I immediately was a little suspicious of it. It is a studio portrait, but the image was not very clear. The photo had an odd yellowish tint to it and the size of the photo was much different than anything I have in my collection. To wide to be a postcard but about the same lenght. Under the blacklight it reacted differently than any of the other photos I tested it against... The reverse is only plain white paper backing.

Has anyone seen these before and can you add anything to this? Any other opinions? I seem to recall another member posted a similar type photo that was identified by someone as a fake and adding that it was a "known" type of fake.
    Attached Files

Last edited by InfanterieSammler; 03-11-2006, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Hi,

I recall a number of aged but in my opion post war reproduced portrait photos appearing on ebay. I fell victim to a FJ portrait, when it arrived my gut told me it was not a period piece, I would always prefer to have either a postcard layout to the reverse or AGFA LUPEX/BROVIRA logos to the rear, if it lights up under black light then it's probably wrong. Sorry this is not that helpful. Incidentally the source of te photo was UKRAINE ostensibly from NKVD/KGB archives!

regards

Mark

Comment

ANY (well ok most assuredly 90% of any) photo you find on ebay that says it came from the soviet archives is a fake. Don't touch it. If it wasn't for Craigob who alerted me to this fact I would have excitedly bid on a lot of them as they look very good.
        Last edited by Lisa Thompson; 12-02-2005, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Hi Mark Mac,

Alas, this is a fake photo and copies of this particular photo have been flooding the market. There's many other variations as well.

Comment

Well...Thanks for the replies.

The photo came from Germany. I contacted the seller and told him I was pretty sure the photo was fake and that I wanted to return it. I asked him if he had any original Waffen SS portrait photos or RK winner photos. He apologized for the mistake, stated a return was fine and that he would have more original photos by next weekend. He would also agree to an exchange.

I hope this works out, at least it seems to have so far.

My mistake on the foreign shield.

Comment

Fake picture

Mark,

Although this may be a fake, I don't believe the lack of clarity or the yellow tinge are alone enough to determine photos are fake. I have period photos in untouched albums that have the same characteristics. However if the picture does not pass the blacklight test than you definately have reason to worry.

Comment

I purchased several SS photo's from Germany a while back, they all turned out to me reprints...

Comment

When you guys reffer to this as fake do you mean a modern print from a negative or is it a copy from an original print or it it a poses pic with a modern person wearing a uniform and taken to decieve?

Best, Sal

Comment

Sal,

All the above (that you mentioned) would be a fake or reproduction. In this case I believe that this is a copy of an original period photo aged to look original or old. I suppose it could be a copy of the negative, which I would also consider to be a reproduction. There are several sellers on Ebay that list these type of photos.

I have not heard of guys dressing up in uniform and having studio portrait photos taken to look like original period photos...But I have wondered if and when it will/has happened. I am sure it is possible.

My other SS portraits passed the blacklight test, for which I am happy!!!

Comment

Thanks Mark,
                      I figured all those methods would be repro, I was wondering which of these methods was suspected on this photo. So have they learned how to fake agfa paper? Or worse are there old stocks of that paper around for them to use? I had just assumed there were pics of guys dressed up in old uniforms. Has that not been done???

Best, Sal

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X