Family Photo's with Interesting Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Photo's with Interesting Story

I thought I would share this with the WAF.

Every 2-3 years, we take a trip to Germany to see my wifes family who is mostly over there in the Rheinland.
    Each trip, my Father would ask me to look up my relatives that were from Bavaria.
    (My Great Grandfather Came to Baltimore in 1888, and his daughter (my Grandmother) kept in touch with a few of the relatives up until about 1970 or so.) Also, during WW2, my father (about 9 at the time) was taken to a prison camp in New Jersey to see his Uncle who was captured in France. They said that he wanted to stay in the states, but Uncle Sam deported him after the war.

None of the letters were saved, I had no pictures, (as a strange uncle took all of them and keeps to himself), no adress, and only a name of a nephew that she wrote to in the 60's.

The search was on.

So My father gives me a name. (Josef Zipfel), who was the Nephew that my Grandmother wrote to in the 60's. I look up the name in the German Phone book and find hunreds of people with that name.
    I go back to my father and ask if he has anything else to go on. He says that Josef was studying to be a doctor, so maybe he is one.
    I contact my Wifes Cousin and ask for his help. He calls back in 15 minutes or so and says that he has spoke with my cousin, and he is the only doctor in Bavaria with that name. - Bingo!

Long story short, we just spent our second vacation with my Family in North-Eastern Bavaria and I now keep in contact with 17 relatives from my side of the Family. We speak often, and I am actually closer now to them, than I am most of my relatives in this country.

(Back to the Captured Uncle during WW2)
    This past trip we took this fall, My cousin Marianne pulled out the family Photoalbum. Along with Pictiures of My Great Grandfather sent to them from Baltimore, was pictures of her Father who was The Relative my Father Visited.
    Here are 3 pictures that I took pictures of while over there.
    Last edited by Scott R.; 12-01-2005, 09:33 PM.

Johann Zipfel
    Attached Files

Comment

here he is 3rd from the left.
      (I love this picture!)
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is also a piture they had of My Great Grandparents with 2 of my Great Uncles that fought in the War for the US.
        Attached Files

Comment

I assume that the gun in the background is an "88" and I notice that my Uncle is wearing the Ribbon to the EK2 and the Coatal Artillary Badge. It also appears that he is on a Dock of some sort.

Since he was captured in France, is it possible to find out where, etc..?

Comment

Scott,

Great photos and story to go with them, thanks for sharing these.

(I used to live in northeastern Bavaria; nice area!)

Regards,
            Greg
            sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
            www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R.
              I assume that the gun in the background is an "88" and I notice that my Uncle is wearing the Ribbon to the EK2 and the Coatal Artillary Badge. It also appears that he is on a Dock of some sort.

Since he was captured in France, is it possible to find out where, etc..?
              yup, that's an 88 alright but can't see any suggestion of a dock in the photo, just the wooden boards and side walls of the emplacement. I'm not too sure how wise it is to rest an 88 shell on it's fuze like that!
              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X