V-1 and V-2 Rockets on Display in Antwerp, Belgium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V-1 and V-2 Rockets on Display in Antwerp, Belgium

Here are a few photos out of a GI photo album. German V-1 and V-2 rockets on display in Antwerp, Belgium.

#2 V-2 rocket Antwerp, Belgium
    Attached Files

Comment

Bill, do you have any information about the occasion or why these are on display?

Al

Comment

Al.

There is no other information other than the location and year Antwerp, Belgium 1945 typed on the reverse of each photo. I would think the captured German items and allied Aircraft, Tanks were on display to commemorate the Allied Victory. These photos were in a GI photo album that had alot of photos of German POW's. I posted those on another thread that I had previously started on German POW's. Bill

Originally posted by Al P
        Bill, do you have any information about the occasion or why these are on display?

Al
        Last edited by W Petz; 12-01-2005, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Those are some nice photos. They are taken in July 1945. It is indeed an exhibition of war material, organised by the allies on the Groenplaats (Green Square). Antwerp was an important harbour for the allies and it was repeatedly bombed by V1 and V2 bombs (+1000 impacts). Some of them didn't explode, as can be seen on the photos, but there were thousands of casualties amongst the - already liberated - people of Antwerp.

Comment

Tim,

Thank you for sharing the additional information on location and why the War material was being displayed. - Bill

Originally posted by Tim De Craene
            Those are some nice photos. They are taken in July 1945. It is indeed an exhibition of war material, organised by the allies on the Groenplaats (Green Square). Antwerp was an important harbour for the allies and it was repeatedly bombed by V1 and V2 bombs (+1000 impacts). Some of them didn't explode, as can be seen on the photos, but there were thousands of casualties amongst the - already liberated - people of Antwerp.

Comment

Thanks guys, I was a bit confused as to why the allied stuff was also on display. I have seen a few pictures of these type of things and they seemed to display mostly captured German stuff and not allied equipment.

Al

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X