Michael Wittmann documents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Wittmann documents

Does anyone know of any documents out there belonging to Michael Wittmann? Or anything else of his for that matter?

Wittmann docs

Nobody knows of anything out there belonging to Wittmann? The reason I ask is because I just saw his award doc for the Oakleaves with Swords yesterday at the home of a very notable dealer. I know there are some fantastic collections in Europe and many of the owners are not members here, but surely some of you guys must have seen some of this stuff.

Comment

John-

I think the lack of replies is due to the fact that nobody knows if any of his documents, awards, tunics, etc. survived the war and post-war years.

APPARENTLY, Gary Simpson (the author of the INCREDIBLY HORRIBLE book "Tiger Ace...") had been in contact with the widow Wittmann back in the 90's, and I'd imagine that if anyone had anything of his, she would be the one. She provided some of her photographs for the book, but I don't recall reading anything about surviving medals, documents, uniforms, etc.

I for one would absolutely love to hear that some documents, or medals - or anything of his for that matter - survived and found their way into collections where they will be appreciated and preserved. However, due to the fact that Wittmann was one of the most popular axis personalities of the war, I'd imagine that there are many fake "attributed" items in circulation.

Rob

Originally posted by JOHNK
      Nobody knows of anything out there belonging to Wittmann? The reason I ask is because I just saw his award doc for the Oakleaves with Swords yesterday at the home of a very notable dealer. I know there are some fantastic collections in Europe and many of the owners are not members here, but surely some of you guys must have seen some of this stuff.

Comment

Wittmann docs

Hi Rob,

I figured that if there is anything else of Wittmann's out there it would be well kept in a pristine collection. Since we have some long-time collectors from around the world here, I was hoping someone had seen something of his somewhere.

The document I saw is definately the real deal. The source is unquestionable. I'm not sure if I should mention his name but he is probably the worlds premiere dealer. I will say this same person also has uniforms belonging to the likes of Hitler, Georing, Dietrich, Von Rippentrop, etc. He also has most of the pilots badges with diamonds and many of the oak leaves with diamonds of the upper members of the Third Reich. To name just a tiny fraction of his offerings.

He has just received the Wittmann document so I don't know if it is really available yet. I know he has had some offers already but again I don't know if I'm at liberty to mention the amounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Johnson
          John-

I think the lack of replies is due to the fact that nobody knows if any of his documents, awards, tunics, etc. survived the war and post-war years.

APPARENTLY, Gary Simpson (the author of the INCREDIBLY HORRIBLE book "Tiger Ace...") had been in contact with the widow Wittmann back in the 90's, and I'd imagine that if anyone had anything of his, she would be the one. She provided some of her photographs for the book, but I don't recall reading anything about surviving medals, documents, uniforms, etc.

Rob
          Rob, I will have to agree with you about how incredibly horrible that "Tiger Ace" book by Gary Simpson. It is so poorly edited it is virtually unreadable. Where was the editor when it was time to proof read the manuscript? It was so bad I was only able to read three chapters before I ended up throwing the book in the garabage in utter disgust. Truly embarassing.
          When you go home
          Tell them for us and say
          For your tomorrow
          We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
          Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

If John is right, I'm afraid that regrettably Frau H. has passed away? I am sorry if it is the case...

Comment

There is a lot of basic stuff here http://www.panzermuseum.com/records/...nn_michael.htm

Comment

Michael,

That is a great link!

Rene

Comment

Wittmann Docs

Well it definately sounds like there are other Wittmann documents out there.

Takira is Frau H. the widow of Michael Wittmann? I know the document I saw came from a gentleman in Germany so perhaps he got it from her. I don't have all the details but it sounded like he had it for some time.

Comment

My friend was telling me about a militaria show around March 1980 at the Greenbelt Armory in Maryland. There was a guy from Sweden who had two tunics of interest. One was an SS-Obergruppenfuhrer white tunic and service cap with white cover. The other was an SS-Standartenfuhrer black panzer jacket with Peiper's name inside. At the time it was doubtful that it was really Peiper's wrapper.

Comment

The Canadian war museum has his soldbuch in collections. i believe it was a Canadian sherman "priest" that knocked out his tank...

Comment

Wittmann

I once had his autograph but sold it!
                        I still have an original snapshot on Wittmann wearing his decorations 1944!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobwirtz
                          My friend was telling me about a militaria show around March 1980 at the Greenbelt Armory in Maryland. There was a guy from Sweden who had two tunics of interest. One was an SS-Obergruppenfuhrer white tunic and service cap with white cover. The other was an SS-Standartenfuhrer black panzer jacket with Peiper's name inside. At the time it was doubtful that it was really Peiper's wrapper.
                          Dont know if this is the same as you refer to, but Peipers wrapper and visor is in a huge WSS collection here in Norway!

Cheers
                          Øyvind

Comment

you have to wonder how much clothing these men owned..from the looks of Whittmans tank,there probably was not much left of the crew,let alone their wrappers or visors...

Comment

Who is Wittmann ?

Jan-Hendrik

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X