Horror of war photos - Post and Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horror of war photos - Post and Trade

Over the last 5 years I have begun to collect private photo albums and picture lots. I have 7 albums and probably 700+ loose photos. 98% of them are run-of-the-mill snapshots of groups of soldiers on leave, standing in front of some landmark or whatever.

Every once in a while, I will find individual photos that I can't help but stare at. Small reminders that human lives are the grist of this mill that we are all so fascinated with.

I have begun to do high-resolution (3000+ dpi) scans of some remarkable photos in my collection. I am looking to trade with other album/photo collectors. All I ask is that the original photos belong to you personally. I am well aware that wartime photos were purchased and that many duplicates were made, but please don’t grab photos from someone’s website and post them here or try to trade them.

It may be that some of the photos I post have been seen by others through duplicate printings of the originals. I am hoping that none of these have ever been seen by you before. Ill start this thread with a few remarkable photos.

PLEASE ADD YOUR OWN IF YOU HAVE THEM

I’d like to do a separate thread on:

Horrors of War – Casualties and Executions

Tank and Vehicle Destruction Photos

General Destruction Photos

Regards,
    Dave

I can't read the sign on the post, even at high magnification, but I can guess what it says. Was this done in front of his own home?
    Attached Files

Another Partisan..

This was in a batch of photos from the Ukraine, mostly depicting partisan activity, blown rail lines, etc.
    Attached Files

Comment

Bodies from the field....

Bodies collected on a horse drawn cart like firewood.
      Attached Files

Comment

Destroyed Ambulance...

Think you have a chance because you are in an ambulance speeding away from the front? Apparently not.
        Attached Files

Comment

More human life...

The inscription on the back of the photo makes some reference to this man's hand. I only see one.
          Attached Files

Comment

After the battle...

After the battle.. A squad caught in an open field?
            Attached Files

Comment

Help with inscription...

This ought to be easy... Someone want to help with the inscription? Unser _____ kampf gelande. Staraja, Russa, Jan 1942
              Attached Files

Comment

No bodies, but 2of my favourite photos
                Attached Files

Comment

r
                  Attached Files

Comment

The inscription is

Unser ehemaliges Kampfgelände
                    Staraja-Russa, Jan 1942
                    (Aufnahme März 1942)

Our former battlefield
                    Staraja Russa, Jan. 1942
                    (Picture March 1942)

Staraja, or Staraya, Russa is a town of about 40,000 in the Novgorod area, located 99 km south of Novgorod, on Lake Ilmen. Staraya Russa means "Old Russia" and the town dates back to the 1100s.

Dave

Comment

I don't remember where I found it, but it said something about it being a German officer who shot himself the last days of the war.( note, the painting that he fell on)

Comment

Good photo...

Awesome photo Jamie. I'm not a cuff-title guy... what does the cufftitle say?
                        Dave

Comment

It's a Volkssturm cuff title. It says "Deutscher Volkssturm Wehrmacht." The original of that photo is in the National Archives collection.

For more on the Volkssturm, you can see:
                          http://www.adeq.net/volkspix.htm

Dave

Comment

I think I saw a caption with the last photo stating he actually defaced ole AH before shooting himself.I don't think he fell on it.

Comment

It looks defaced to me too. Reminds me of that paintng of Hitler in a suit of armor on horseback that was bayonetted by an Allied soldier.

Why would this guy have a Volksturm cuffband and SS rank tabs?

Notice also the woman POW in the picture that Chris posted.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X