Lakeside Trader - 2nd Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Himmler visiting a venue - any clues as to where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Himmler visiting a venue - any clues as to where?

This photo is from a Totenkopf album I recently obtained.

I'd like to think this venue might be recognizable to somebody here?

The SS-man whose album this is was stationed in Krakau, Poland for the start of the album - prior to going to what looks like Russia and then the south (photos with Muslim women for instance). This photo is the first one in the album so I gather it could most likely be in Poland or Germany.

In case anybody asks - the scan is good, with just a little sharpening, the original photo is a little soft.

Thanks,
    Peter
    Attached Files

Looks like the west portico of the White House.

Comment

Originally posted by DocumentsGuy
      Looks like the west portico of the White House.

Comment

Hmm... do or don't tell Mike Moore in that case, depending on how much you'd like it to appear in his next doco as another reason to indict the current administration.

Comment

A wild gues: Quidlinburg perhaps?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion; does the building look like a building in Quidlinburg or is there another reason you potentially place the scene there?

I just googled up 'Quidlinburg' but there's not a great deal of info coming up unfortunately. Was hoping there might have been some historical photos on the net but if there are they're not easily found.

Comment

Try Quedlinburg - over 3 million hits on Google (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Quedlinburg )

Best,
              ~ Mike

Comment

Aha - *that* Quidlenburg! Thanks. Having just had a quick look I can see why it might have been there. Off to see if I can find that entrance pictured anywhere.

I'm also thinking it might be in Poland somewhere given the location of most of the album.

Peter

Comment

Peter,
                  I doubt the photo was taken in Poland. Although the picture is a bit soft as you say, the insignia looks like this is quite an early shot, maybe around 1935. The cufftitles appear to be LAH so it is most likely in Berlin. If I see anything in my photos that looks like this building I'll post it.
                  Derek

Comment

Derek, you may be right re the photo being earlier: it's the first photo in the album, and appreciably more discoloured than the next photos along. While after 60-70 years it might not tell us much about absolute age, it might represent a difference in relative age. Maybe the SS man in question took the photo as an ardent youngster and ended up joining later.

Wherever this photo was taken, it's at number 29... of what street?

Comment

It's a hotel entrance in Nuremberg on the occasion of a Reichsparteitag. I had some other photos showing the same entrance, but I don't have them anymore.
                      Max.

Comment

If this photo is from Nurnburg, could it be the Gauhaus? There are similarities.. Image taken from http://www.thirdreichruins.com/nuernberg.htm
                        Attached Files

Comment

I don't think it's the Gauhaus Lisa, although I can see why it presents itself as a candidate. The scale looks larger, and the columns/windows & steps around the entrance don't seem to quite match.

I was hoping that e.g. the face 'sculpture' on the window would give an indication. It looks like the kind of medieval-style thing that might positively ID a building.

The scale and setting in the photo does really look like it could be a hotel, to be honest.

Comment

I have no idea where this picture was taken, none the less it is one very nice photo

Are you sure the 'face' is on a window? To me that looks like it is in the masonary work on an archway.

Al

Comment

Al - yes, that is what I was thinking.. I haven't been able to find an exact match to that although I have been looking.. I love little research projects like this!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X