Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gliders diving into action

Hello,

The Glider planes might be known towards a few persons, however how the pilots who flew these "Leukoplast Bomber" where trained is quite often less known.

After the Crete campaign there where made practices in dive flights and using a parachute to hold the plane in line. These practices where more and more common and it was the goal to make a so called point landing .

This had advantages and one of the major ones was: landing in a very small area and being as quick as possible through the critical zone of Anti Aircraft, etc ... For the pilots who had to do it it was very exiting but also very dangerous. The pilot had to make a good count how high he still was before pulling the plane up again,e tc ... (or serious acidents could happen)

Pictures of DFS 230's (glider plane) when diving with are quite hard to find, but we are proud to be able to present such a risky training session.

Enjoy + please post your diving glider pictures when you have them
    Attached Files
    my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

hello Stijn,

In deed is an amazing photo I have never seen one of these before!!!

do you know if this method were used operationaly??

thanks for sharing!!

Comment

Gliders diving into action

Hello Humberto,

This method was most certainly used in real combat situations, and then i can give the following missions with certainity :

* Drvar ( trying to capture Tito )
      * Vassieux
      * Budapest

I am pretty sure that it was used in more missions, however proof is failing me. It was however a very effective way .

Cordial greetings,
      my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X