Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writing behind the photograph II

Hello,

What does what signify this writing behind the photograph?

erich?

Regards,

Max.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Writing

Hi,
      I can't read the first word, but the second two appear to be, "ausgebranter Hauserblock". A burned block of houses.
      Regards,
      Adem

Comment

The first word seems to be Lens. This is a city in France. The picture is taken in a french speaking zone because on the shop at the corner you can see the word charcuterie, that means butcher.

Comment

Both correct! "Lens-- Ausgebrannter Häuserblock." This was probably from Allied diversion bombing of the Pas de Calais before the Normandy landings.

Note the Gebirgsjäger (unlikely!!), Jäger, or foreign "volunteer" insignias on their right arms.

Comment

Gebirgsjäger?

Gebirgsjäger? Great! Rick,

I will scan with more detail the photo.

thanks you Adem ,Volkbert and Rick.

Maximiliano.

Comment

with more detail.
              Attached Files

Comment

can't see detail, but definitely OVAL shaped sleeve insignia, so probably Jägers. No mountains in the Pas de Calais!!!

Comment

Hello all.
                  Just my penny's worth of observation:
                  please note the footwear on these soldiers. Wear of the Knobelbecher would date this picture in the early years of WW II . Leather shortages caused gradual indroduction of gaiters to be worn with laced boots.. Mountain troops wore short putties with mountain boots. I am hazy about other components in the mountain divisions ( divisional troops) as to their footwear. Jaeger units were first formed in Dec.1940 as Leichte Inf.Div. based on Mountain Div. structure . They were called "Jaeger " Div. as of Jun. 1942.
                  My guess would then date this picture in 1940 during or shortly after the campaign against France.
                  Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

I also think this picture was taken in 1940. When you look at the collars of the tunics you can see that they have a dark colour. I think this means that the tunic are M36. When this picture was taken in 194444 you might expect some M40 or M43 tunics with collars in the same colour as the rest of the tunic.

Comment

My guess 1940. It would seem that the whole theme of the photo is that of a triumphant group of soldiers. Not someone who would be frantically searching the skies for P38s or 51s.
                      Last edited by JaimeH; 12-10-2002, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Hello guys,

Many thanks,
                        so these soldiers belong to a mountain troop?

Again Many thanks.

Max.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X