confusing group of docs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

confusing group of docs

I have just got a group of documents today and they have really confused me so could someone please explain it to me.

It's to a man in the 299 infantry division, who's commanders were,

Gen.der Art Willi Moser 6 Apr 1940 - 1 Nov 1942
    Gen.lt. Viktor Koch 1 Nov 1942 - 5 Nov 1942
    Gen.lt. Hans Bergen 5 Nov 1942 - 3 May 1943
    Gen.lt. Ralph Graf d'Oriola 3 May 1943 - 15 Jan 1944
    Gen.lt. Paul Reichelt 15 Jan 1944 - 13 Mar 1944
    Gen.lt. Ralph Graf d'Oriola 13 Mar 1944 - 28 June 1944
    Gen.lt. Hans Junck 28 June 1944 - 31 July 1944
    Gen.maj. Karl Göbel 1 Sep 1944 - 16 Feb 1945

Ther documents were (in order of date)

1) Eastern front medal 15.8.1942, when he was a Wachtmeister signed by his batterie commander.

2) KVKII in 15.11.1943, now he's an unteroffizier signed by Gen.lt und Div. Kdr. d'Oriola

3) EKII on 29.7.1944, now he's a Wachtmeinster again? and its signed by Gen.lt und kdr d korps Abt. d'Oriola

So two question, why did his rank change from Wachtmeister to unteroffizier then back to Wachtemeister? and Why did Gen.lt. d'Oriola sign the EKII document? he wasn't the division commander at that time.

Regards
    Phil

Hi Phil,
    With Russian front medals they were normally awarded mid-late 1942, however the documents could well take two years to catch up with the person.....the time he was awarded the Ostmedaille he might have been a Obergefreiter but his current rank when filling the citation in was Wachtmeister....with that said I have cases where his original rank at the time of the award was used, however the unit issuing the citation was the one from 1944!!!

Without verifying the dates Gen.lt. d'Oriola may have still been in command of the division at the time of his award of the EK II or it is a typing mistake!
    Again I have examples in the same catagory...........

Will take a look when I get home and add more..........

/Ian
    Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Cheers Ian,

Any help what so ever would be great I would just like to verify if Gen.lt. d'Oriola should have signed the EKII document, although the dealer I got it from I trust, he's the same one I bought my soldbuch from

Thanks
      Phil

Comment

I have just checked one of my sources and Genlt. Ralph Graf von Oriola did hand over command in June 44..........
        Could be a typo......or maybe another forum member has more info in this General/Division

/Ian

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Hi Ian,

Cheers, I though d'Oriola wasn't there at that time, I was just wondering, I know it's a stupid question but, what was the difference between a division and a korps?

Phil

Comment

Hi Phil/Ian,

I think the d'Oriola signature can be explained that he wasn't the divisional commander but the Korps Abt 'G' commander (although this theoretically wasn't designated so until 1st August 1944) Korps Abt were divisional sized units made up of the remnant of various divisions following the Army Group Centre disaster in June/July 1944 - one of these divisions was 299. ID. Others were 57. and 337.

Cheers,
            Gary.

Comment

Cheers Gary,

I think that explains it, as the EKII document is signed on the 29th July so it is probable that he was recommended for the EKII on 29/7/44, so when it came round for it being signed by d'Oriola it was past the 1st August.

Thanks
              phil

Comment

Well spotted.... I didn't notice you mentioned Kdr. d. Korps Abt. .....that explains a lot!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X