Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper Ink Stamp - SS

Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I'm not sure where to place it. Please feel free to move it to the appropriate section if required.

I just got this stamp and wanted to run it past you guys for the or if it gets the thumbs up I might put it on the E-Stand

The stamp appears to have plenty of age and use to it with dirt and wear in the appropriate areas of the wooden handle. At the bottom of the handle there is a steel collar to which the large brass stamp is fixed. the actual stamp itself appears to be copper or bronze. The rim of the copper/bronze stamp has the WaAmpt 508 (I think) and eagle on it

As far as I can make out the stamp says :-

Fuhrerheim der Leibstandarte SS - Adolf Hitler.

I have mirrored one of the photos in order to make reading the stamp easier.

The colouring in the photos makes the stamp look more brown but it is actually a golden bronze colour

Many thanks in advance

Les
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LES Y; 10-07-2005, 02:46 PM.

WaAmpt
    Attached Files

Comment

Stamp
      Attached Files

Comment

Mirror image of Stamp
        Attached Files

Comment

I can't comment on its authenticity because I am not schooled in that field. However, it actually reads
          Führerheim
          --Guy Power

Comment

Thanks Guy.

Les

Comment

I'm no expert on these but I've heard that ones made out of brass like this are fake.

Lee
              www.psywar.org

Comment

Any more thoughts on it guys ?

Les

Comment

Good or Not

If you think about it-- Fuhrerheim der Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler-- what significance or reason would there be to have such a stamp? It's another product of a creative mind making something that someone is willing to make the leap of faith and call good.

Comment

Then I will make that leap....because I think it looks ok!

G

Comment

All of the original stamps I've seen were rubber with a wooden handle, except for one Feldpost franking stamp that had a metal head, but a completely different type of handle. Most of the fakes coming out of eastern Europe are brass headed like this one. Is the eagle slightly deformed or is it the photo? On my monitor it looks like the top wing is not at right angles to the body/wreath.
                      Erich
                      Festina lente!

Comment

It's an optical illusion, both wings are at right angles to the body

Comment

stamp

It would cost a substantial amount to tool up to make one of these, and far beyond the value, in my opinion. And if they did, there would be a number of them floating around. Features such as the rim stamp and the brad in the handle to show which side is up are also more trouble and thought than a piece like this would be worth to duplicate, IMO. There is little to no market for these things compared to other collectibles. The only thing wrong with this piece, again in my opinion, is that it has been cleaned. Now, if you have 20 identical ones, then I would worry...

Comment

I totally agree with Quankle. The actual lack of duplicate stamps is of interest.

The fakes out of Poland all appear to be of the same manufacture. They usually have identical turned handles made out of poor wood and are usually stained (black dye or boot polish) which transfers to the skin pretty easily. None of them have the quality of wood turned handles that the originals have. The fake handles also show artificial wear and tear ie knicks, holes and chunks missing, not a smooth well worn finish you would expect after being well handled/used.

The head of the stamp in the majority of fakes appear to be made of poor metal which is in turn fixed into a brass section, unlike the originals whose head is a complete brass piece. They also show poor lettering nowhere near as crisp as originals.

None of the Polish fakes that I have seen to-date have any stamps or code, stamped into the rim of the stamp head. I have also yet to see any alignment screws or plate on the handles of the fakes.

G

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts / comments guys, all very much appreciated

Les

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X