Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Photos--Von Manstein and Heavy Panzers

Greetings friends,

I love days like this. I come home from a long day at work, and waiting for me in the mail box are these three photos. Two are good candid shots of my favorite general Erich Von Manstein and one is a rather grainy pic of some German heavy panzers (I will be asking for some help with this one).

Enjoy
    Attached Files
    Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
    All the best,
    Chris

Next Von Manstein photo. There were three of these in the same lot, all obviously from the same event, but I was only able to save two of the three
    Attached Files
    Interested in candid/private Hitler, KIA, and Holocaust photos. Also any AH related memorabilia--silverware, linen, crystal, china...
    All the best,
    Chris

Comment

Now here is that heavy panzer photo. This one has me just fascinated. I think the closest tank in the foreground is a Tiger and the others look like they may be tank destroyers of some sort. I would really like some other opinions as to what vehicles these are, but I would assume that this a rather late war photo that represents a formidable collection of firepower.
      Attached Files
      All the best,
      Chris

Comment

There is a caption on the back, but I can't read it. Would someone be so kind as to try and make it out?

Thanks,
        Chris
        Attached Files
        All the best,
        Chris

Comment

NICE pictures!

The panzers look like panzer 4's to me! But I can be wrong!

Sebas

Comment

Originally posted by EKman
            There is a caption on the back, but I can't read it. Would someone be so kind as to try and make it out?
            Back of picture says Bereitstellung which means assembly area prior to an attack - which explains why they are lined up nice and pretty.

Comment

Panzer IV, Nashorn, Jpz IV ?

Hello, theforemost one looks like a Panzer IV to me, you can make out the "shürtzen" protective plates mounted on the turret (just to the right of the men standing in front of it), the one in the far background could be a Jadgpanzer IV with the angular superstructure and the one between them could be either another Jpz IV or maybe a Nashorn SP gun, the guns on these two panzers seems to be to long for a standard Panzer IV, but I don't know how likely it is to have a Nashorn fighting along regular panzers but if this is very late in the war, anything that could move and shoot would probably go to the front line.

Comment

Looks like one Tiger and two Nashorn to me.

Comment

The vehicle on the left is definitely a PIV. You can see the Schuerzen on the turret. No Tiger had that.

Comment

The first is definately a Panzer IV H or J. Look at the turret schurtzen, the mantlet is too small for a Tiger, the glacis is too low as well. Panzer III never had the long barelled 75 mm.

The vehicles in the background appear identical, the closer one has a clear view of the return rollers and a MK IV sprocket wheel. Judging by the barrel size, I would say Hummel or Nashorn.

Steve
                    Last edited by afrika; 10-08-2005, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X