Clear All

Flak uniform...
    Attached Files

Comment

image_4706360.jpg Rad

Comment

Amazing Photography

Comment

Who are these women? I do not believe they are German but they are all armed with Lugers. Important-Women-in-World-War-2-Womens-Auxiliary-Units-1200x350-c-default.jpg

Comment

I think it says "US NAVY" across the cap bands.

Comment

Photo caption:
              U.S. Navy WAVES taking target practice at Treasure Island Naval Base in the San Francisco Bay, 1943. Credit U.S. Navy

Photo and credit found here
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
                Photo caption:
                U.S. Navy WAVES taking target practice at Treasure Island Naval Base in the San Francisco Bay, 1943. Credit U.S. Navy

Photo and credit found here
                Thanks. I could not make it out. I am still curious why they are using lugers.

Comment

Originally posted by crowback View Post

Thanks. I could not make it out. I am still curious why they are using lugers.
                  Ah! Found out why!!!!

The photograph on the left is a picture of several WAVES personnel at the firing line while practicing with the High Standard Model B pistol. This picture was taken at the Treasure Island naval base in California on February 11, 1943. The picture came from the United States national archives and has an Identification Code of 80-G-40594.
                  https://www.ai4fr.com/main/page_mili...tandard_b.html

Caption to the pistol image:
                  The photograph on the left is of the markings that are found on the left side of this pistol. The inscription at the left which has been stamped at the rear of the barrel on the frame reads as follows, "MADE IN U.S.A." and then underneath that is "THE HIGH STANDARD MFG. CO" and then underneath that is "NEW HAVEN, CONN." and underneath that is "PATENT PENDING" and then underneath that is ".22 CAL." and at the bottom is "LONG RIFLE". This inscription indicates that the pistol was made in the United States of America by the High Standard manufacturing company that is located in New Haven, Connecticut and that the pistol has been chambered for the .22 long rifle cartridge. The next inscription which is stamped on the slide reads as follows, "HI-STANDARD" and then underneath that is MODEL "B"". The top stamp identifies the manufacturer and the quality of the firearm as being a High Standard and the bottom part of this stamp identifies the model of this pistol as the Model B.

The picture on the right is a close up of the left grip panel. The grips on the later versions of the High Standard Model B are a checkered hard rubber and sport the High Standard "HS" monogram in the middle of each grip.
                  -- Guy
                  Attached Files

Comment

Got it! U.S. Navy WAVES taking target practice at an indoor range at Treasure Island Naval Base in the San Francisco Bay. The pistols are .22 caliber training firearms, the Model B type from High Standard Manufacturing Company based in Houston, Texas. February 11, 1943.
                    Source: Public Domain Navy Photo

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X