intersting new photo that arrived today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

intersting new photo that arrived today

Hello all I just got this one in today. It is a tracked vehicle of the 5th panzer div. from the signals unit. There appears to be a French tank in the background. My question is what is this? is it a recovery vehicle, a command vehicle? My first thought was a recovery vehicle because of what appears to be a boom in the front. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike
    Attached Files

Hello

Very interesting photo indeed! You are correct that it is a vehicle of 5.Panzerdivision. The boom in front of the tank does not belong to the tank but is a pylon for electrical cables usual in the Benelux countries. The tank is a Panzerfunkwagen (signals-tank) with the frame-antenna at the rear.

\Christoph

Comment

Grüß Gott Mike,

What you have in the photograph is a Panzer-Befehlswagen III (Panzer III Command Tank) in the foreground and a French Hotchkiss H39 tank in the background. Looks like the Panzer has been knocked out or at least has broken it's track. This command tank had a dummy wooden cannon and a MG-34 for a weapon mounted in the turret. The soldiers on the tank are probably the recovery crew...they are not the tank's crew.

Comment

Patrick, thanks for the confiramtion on one of the possiblities. I agree that this may be a recovery crew as the one fellow on the panzer is holding a tankers beret that was obviously left in the vehicle. I noticed what appear to be either bullet or shrapnel holes in the mufflers so I would say it was a cmbat loss.

I wonder since the we know it is 5th panzer 2nd signals Komp. if it could be traced as to how it was lost and the crew. Mike

Originally posted by BergführerKiser
        Grüß Gott Mike,

What you have in the photograph is a Panzer-Befehlswagen III (Panzer III Command Tank) in the foreground and a French Hotchkiss H39 tank in the background. Looks like the Panzer has been knocked out or at least has broken it's track. This command tank had a dummy wooden cannon and a MG-34 for a weapon mounted in the turret. The soldiers on the tank are probably the recovery crew...they are not the tank's crew.

Comment

christoph, Thanks for the information. I am unfamiluar with the name Benelux. Is it another name for the low countries? Thanks again.. Mike
          Originally posted by ChrisA
          Hello

Very interesting photo indeed! You are correct that it is a vehicle of 5.Panzerdivision. The boom in front of the tank does not belong to the tank but is a pylon for electrical cables usual in the Benelux countries. The tank is a Panzerfunkwagen (signals-tank) with the frame-antenna at the rear.

\Christoph

Comment

Originally posted by R MICHAEL
            christoph, Thanks for the information. I am unfamiluar with the name Benelux. Is it another name for the low countries? Thanks again.. Mike
            Mike...yes, BENELUX refers to the low countries...BE-lgium, NE-therlands(Holland) and LUX-embourg.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X