Afga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Akira Takiguchi
    I would say it is postwar, not because of the watermark but because of the way "Echte Fotographie" is printed, but I will leave this question to the experts - Robert or Bill.
    I'm also with you on that Akira, I just found a postcard with Echte Photographie that's printed in an older style...
    Kind regards,
    Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

Greetings.I sent some questions to them yesterday after reading this thread.I'll keep you posted as to what they have to say.Needless to say,I was surprised to learn this.I rarely post here but,I am also a big fan of photos.Cheers,Darrick

Comment

Also,If they don't answer me,I will be e-mailing them everyday in hopes that they will answer.Cheers,Darrick

Comment

Great Job Darrick
          Kind regards,
          Giel

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Giels-Milit...5292741243193/

Comment

Originally posted by Akira Takiguchi
            Tim, underlines have absolutely nothing to do with postwar-ness. It is the papertype indicator - for example, Agfa Brovira (which was primarily for enlargement) had multiple subtypes; glossy (Brovira Brillant), matt (Brovira Satino), etc.
            Underlines were used as a hint because of the difference in drying procedure.
            Akira, of course I know that underlines have nothing to do with wartime and postwar. I wonder where you see me stating that?

My experience with postwar Agfa paper is that most of the watermarks are double underlined, because the glossy paper was more popular. On the other hand, I have never seen wartime postcards with the "Agfa" mark underlined.

Comment

Greetings.Well,Agfa has answered me.Here is what they said:"Dear Darrick,Thank you for contacting AgfaPhoto USA.Agfa did not produce photographic paper with a watermark that contained only the Agfa logo(Afga name and rhombus)until 1945." Sincerely,John Auer, AgfaPhoto USA Corp.,Agfa@ezaccess.net.I suppose this one is put to bed.Interesting.Cheers,Darrick

Comment

Originally posted by Darrick
                .Agfa did not produce photographic paper with a watermark that contained only the Agfa logo(Afga name and rhombus)until 1945."
                January or June?
                At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

David,Correct it's not put to bed.He told me that the exact date is not known.At least we have a general idea.If someone died in 1940 and the photo of said person is on paper with the Agfa only watermark, then we know it was reprinted on newer paper.But,that practice was repeated often back then.No?If this is the case,then how does that affect value?Regards,Darrick

Comment

GJ Darrick, thanks! So they started watermarking "Agfa" instead of "Agfa Brovira / Lupex" in 1945... To make maximum use of limited paper supply probably? I'd be interested in the reasoning too. Basically drying instruction was important, so brand name wasn't really necessary probably...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X