gebirgsjager EK citation - ITALY !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gebirgsjager EK citation - ITALY !

Hello, this citation was bought back by a New Zealand veteran. It was attached to a gebirgsjager soldbuch.
    The unusual thing about this citation is that the reverse has a typed description of the circumstances surrounding his award.

Has anyone seen this sort of thing before on an EK citation ?

Also, I have not researched this unit and its position at the time of this award. Is anyone able to give me a brief rundown of this units status at the time of the sodliers award.

I think the translation is something about him rescuing a comrade under Allied artillery fire ?

Thanks for any comments.
    WANTED - AFRIKA soldbuch, wehrpass, fotos - BUY OR TRADE
    Attached Files
    Last edited by phil1942; 09-20-2005, 03:36 PM.

p2

Attached Files
    Last edited by phil1942; 09-20-2005, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Hello congratulations on the rare write I have times tries the text to translating:

Gerfreiter Glanzer has itself since 16,12,1943 with the carrier command of the company eingeteillt, several times by special gumption and a large einsatzbereidschaft excellently to 28.12.1943 missed the carrier leader after the return of an employment a carrier on this day rather strong fire over DM supplying away lay there to assume that the comrade had been wounded is Klanzer announced itself trodtz to fatigue volunteer to looks for command under heavy Atellerie the fire lay the heavily wounded one after 3 hours was saved. It is the large one verdinst from Glanzer that lives the heavywounded to be saved could.

I hope my English am not too schlechtund one understand the translation.

Greeting Stefan

Comment

Gefr. Glanzer has, since 16.12.1943 commandeered in the carrier squad of the company, distinguished himself multiple times by ways of courage ["Schneid" is very hard to translate, it means a devilish kind of cunning approach] and joy in action. On the day of 28.12.1943 the carrier commander was missing a carrier after combinf back from a caretaking mission. Because the road they took was under heavy fire this day, it was to be assumed that he [the missing] was wounded. Despite being fatigued Glanzer volunteered to the searching commando, despite it was known to him that in this night the enemy artillery was actively shooting artillery fire in the resupply-road. After a search which lasted three hours the heavily wounded comrade was found and could be taken care of.

It is with this great merit of Glanzer that the life of a heavily wounded could be saved.

Gefechts-Stand

Burger
        Hauptmann und Battalionsführer

Comment

Very nice indeed. I've seen this kind of thing before but only rarely.

Your man was part of a carrier or bearer party, perhaps with mules but could also be the men themselves. On the 28th Dec. 43 one of the men was missing after returning from a supply mission, that day the supply route was under heavy artillery fire. This guy volunteered for the search party and spent 3 hours looking for the wounded man under artillery fire before they found him. Glanzer was largely responsible for saving the man's life.
          The doc is signed by oakleaves holder Julius 'Papa' Ringel
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon orchard
            Your man was part of a carrier or bearer party, perhaps with mules but could also be the men themselves.
            I think he was Kompanietroß no doubt. Ammo & supplies carrier with the Mules. This is what is meant by Versorgung.

Comment

Anyone know anything about the Batallion führer, Burger? i know RKT hptm. Bachmaier took over in February '44.

The men themselves often had to act as 'träger' if their were not enough mules. I can think of the whole of GJR139 being used in that role up on the Murmansk front for a period so difficult was the supply situation.

As to where there division was, i think Patrick is a keen 'Die Gams' researcher so he may be able to give you better info but i believe they were on the Gustav line Northeast of Cassino
              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon orchard
                Anyone know anything about the Batallion führer, Burger? i know RKT hptm. Bachmaier took over in February '44.

The men themselves often had to act as 'träger' if their were not enough mules. I can think of the whole of GJR139 being used in that role up on the Murmansk front for a period so difficult was the supply situation.

As to where there division was, i think Patrick is a keen 'Die Gams' researcher so he may be able to give you better info but i believe they were on the Gustav line Northeast of Cassino
                Servus Bergkameraden,

I'll see what I can dig up!

Hurra die Gams!

Comment

thanks guys for the much appreciated information on this item.
                  Last edited by phil1942; 09-20-2005, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Here is a sketch of 5. Gebirgsdivision Kommandeur General Julius "Papa" Ringel (signer of your document) created by war artist Wolfgang Willrich:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Grüß Di' Gamsen,

During the dates, 16-28 Dec 1943, of Gefreiter Johann Glanzer (12./GJR100) would have put him on the Reinhard Line (also known as the Bernhardt line) which was a stalling defensive line that extended south from the Gustav line from the Grigliano-Rapido rivers around San Pietro (great film by John Houston) and up into the Abruzzi Mountains. The GJR100 was in the line from Monte Mare, La Mainarde, La Meta and up over 2000 meters elevation on the minor peaks of the Abruzzi. (from the book "Hurra, die Gams!" by Julius Ringel)

The following is an excerpt from the book "Fifth Army at the Winter Line" which can be read online at http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/wwi...winter-end.htm

Probing Along the VI Corps Front

During the last ten days of December there was no large-scale offensive effort by VI Corps, and much of the line saw little activity. Along the center of the corps front the enemy had withdrawn to an outpost line of defense in the hills overlooking Viticuso, Casale, and Cardito (Map No. 23, above). Here patrol groups of the 45th Division and the 2d Moroccan Division tested his new positions. <CENTER>

83</CENTER>

Over rocky slopes, small patrols frequently went out to reconnoiter, while combat patrols of platoon strength moved forward occasionally to occupy some little knob or to raid a German post. Enemy mines and machine guns made the twisting trails too dangerous for use. With cover scarce and footing uncertain on the rough hillsides, surprise was almost impossible. Time after time patrols would stalk an enemy hill, only to be spotted by a sentry whose alarm sent German defenders dashing across the crest into prepared positions.

When snow covered the mountains, our men were conspicuous in the moonlight against the dazzling white background; but the German mountain troops, wearing reversible white and brown uniforms, were well camouflaged. Though the enemy shifted his positions from hill to hill, his outpost observers everywhere watched for patrols and brought down coordinated machine-gun and mortar fire when they discovered good targets. Usually, however, the Germans remained quiet in an effort to escape detection and opened fire only when a patrol approached within very close range.

On several days the VI Corps artillery did almost no firing, and the rounds it did send across to the enemy were usually bunched in "bingos," heavy concentrations in which every gun in the divisional artillery fired two or more rounds on a small target. The leaflet war continued. By means of special shells from its 105's our artillery "shot the news" weekly, delivering the Frontpost and other propaganda sheets to the enemy's fox holes. Sometimes the pamphlets were scattered from a plane. When the propaganda was accompanied by successful offensive action on our part, it had some effect; but in static warfare only a few enemy soldiers were induced to slink over to our lines through the snow on the mine-covered mountains, waving leaflets as they approached.

In place of a large-scale offensive, units of VI Corps during the last week of December conducted piecemeal operations up and down the front. On 22 December the 8th Moroccan Rifle Regiment began to relieve the 4th. Four days later, with two tabors of Goumiers, the 8th moved toward the Mainarde ridge. The enemy countered with machine-gun, mortar, and small-arms fire and threw back the assault units. The French renewed the attack on the morning of the 27th and at noon were in possession of the western slopes. Although no rations could be delivered to the men, they continued to push along the western slopes of the ridge through three feet of snow and on <CENTER>

84</CENTER>the 28th occupied Hill 1190. By the 29th, however, the weather and supply problems combined to halt the drive. On the morning of the 29th the 5th Rifle Regiment attacked south of the Atina road and took three hills on the east end of Mount Monna Casale. Further advance was impossible; the Moroccans dug in on their gains.

Comment

Thanks Patrick, that account really brings the citation and soldbuch I have to life. Much appreciated.

Fantastic stuff !!

I have a friend here in Auckland, New Zealand. He is a big, long-time Gebirgsjager collector. His name in Alan. Anyone know him ?

Originally posted by BergführerKiser
                        Grüß Di' Gamsen,

During the dates, 16-28 Dec 1943, of Gefreiter Johann Glanzer (12./GJR100) would have put him on the Reinhard Line (also known as the Bernhardt line) which was a stalling defensive line that extended south from the Gustav line from the Grigliano-Rapido rivers around San Pietro (great film by John Houston) and up into the Abruzzi Mountains. The GJR100 was in the line from Monte Mare, La Mainarde, La Meta and up over 2000 meters elevation on the minor peaks of the Abruzzi. (from the book "Hurra, die Gams!" by Julius Ringel)

The following is an excerpt from the book "Fifth Army at the Winter Line" which can be read online at http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/wwi...winter-end.htm

Probing Along the VI Corps Front

During the last ten days of December there was no large-scale offensive effort by VI Corps, and much of the line saw little activity. Along the center of the corps front the enemy had withdrawn to an outpost line of defense in the hills overlooking Viticuso, Casale, and Cardito (Map No. 23, above). Here patrol groups of the 45th Division and the 2d Moroccan Division tested his new positions. <center>

83</center>

Over rocky slopes, small patrols frequently went out to reconnoiter, while combat patrols of platoon strength moved forward occasionally to occupy some little knob or to raid a German post. Enemy mines and machine guns made the twisting trails too dangerous for use. With cover scarce and footing uncertain on the rough hillsides, surprise was almost impossible. Time after time patrols would stalk an enemy hill, only to be spotted by a sentry whose alarm sent German defenders dashing across the crest into prepared positions.

When snow covered the mountains, our men were conspicuous in the moonlight against the dazzling white background; but the German mountain troops, wearing reversible white and brown uniforms, were well camouflaged. Though the enemy shifted his positions from hill to hill, his outpost observers everywhere watched for patrols and brought down coordinated machine-gun and mortar fire when they discovered good targets. Usually, however, the Germans remained quiet in an effort to escape detection and opened fire only when a patrol approached within very close range.

On several days the VI Corps artillery did almost no firing, and the rounds it did send across to the enemy were usually bunched in "bingos," heavy concentrations in which every gun in the divisional artillery fired two or more rounds on a small target. The leaflet war continued. By means of special shells from its 105's our artillery "shot the news" weekly, delivering the Frontpost and other propaganda sheets to the enemy's fox holes. Sometimes the pamphlets were scattered from a plane. When the propaganda was accompanied by successful offensive action on our part, it had some effect; but in static warfare only a few enemy soldiers were induced to slink over to our lines through the snow on the mine-covered mountains, waving leaflets as they approached.

In place of a large-scale offensive, units of VI Corps during the last week of December conducted piecemeal operations up and down the front. On 22 December the 8th Moroccan Rifle Regiment began to relieve the 4th. Four days later, with two tabors of Goumiers, the 8th moved toward the Mainarde ridge. The enemy countered with machine-gun, mortar, and small-arms fire and threw back the assault units. The French renewed the attack on the morning of the 27th and at noon were in possession of the western slopes. Although no rations could be delivered to the men, they continued to push along the western slopes of the ridge through three feet of snow and on <center>

84</center>the 28th occupied Hill 1190. By the 29th, however, the weather and supply problems combined to halt the drive. On the morning of the 29th the 5th Rifle Regiment attacked south of the Atina road and took three hills on the east end of Mount Monna Casale. Further advance was impossible; the Moroccans dug in on their gains.

Comment

Servus Phil,

Glad to help you out.

I'm not familiar with your friend Alan, but I am always interested in meeting other Gebirgsjäger collectors.

Originally posted by phil1942
                          Thanks Patrick, that account really brings the citation and soldbuch I have to life. Much appreciated.

Fantastic stuff !!

I have a friend here in Auckland, New Zealand. He is a big, long-time Gebirgsjager collector. His name in Alan. Anyone know him ?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X