Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prince of the Panzertruppen

Dear readers,

I´m new here so I´d like to begin by introducing myself: I´m a full-time author on military history since 2000. Earlier this year I was made a member of the Swedish Military History Commission.

Has anyone here ever seen images of two real princes in the Wehrmacht, one of them in the Panzertruppen? Let´s start with the latter:

1. Friedrich-Josias "Fritz" von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, born 29. November 1918 in Schloss Callenberg bei Coburg. After RAD-service in Neustadt bei Coburg he in 1938 became an officer cadet in a yet unknown Panzer unit. He then took part in the annexation of Czechoslovakia and the Polish campaign and attended officer training by Krampnitz. Further wartime career yet unknown. Died 1998

2. Hubertus, the brother of the above. All I know about him is that he was killed in action in Rumania in 1943.

All tips and help re. photographs of these men will be very much appreciated.

All the best from Arctic Sweden,

Lars

I might have seen a photo of the first one but I can't recall where. Are you aware that these were not the only princes who served in the Wehrmacht during the war?

Best regards/ Daniel

Comment

This is Prince Ernst-August of Hanover in 1940.
      Attached Files

Comment

Why the SS Totenkopf under his breast eagle?

Comment

Originally posted by Gesetz
          Why the SS Totenkopf under his breast eagle?
          It's his way of paying 'homage' to the death's head hussars of his principality of Hannover-Braunschweig.

Comment

Robin, what was Pz Hannover's rank and where did he serve? What was his service history?

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Lumsden
              This is Prince Ernst-August of Hanover in 1940.
              Are you serious?

Comment

My favorites were the flying princes, Egmont zur Lippe-Weissenfeld and Heinrich zu Sayn-Wittgenstein.

Comment

Princes

Dear friends,

Thank you for the replies.

The photo above is not of someone I am looking for, as I am interested of the Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha family only, at least right now.

STILL, that was a fascinating photo! He´s got a pretty interesting SMG too, a Bergmann I reckon.

I knew the S-C und G brothers were not alone, but surely there cannot have been THAT many, or??? Well, I guess I welcome more photos here of ALL the princes in the Wehrmacht.

Cheers,

Lars

Comment

Hi,

Interesting thread, are they (direct) Family from the Royal Family in the UK?

Best regards,

Rene

Comment

Just I want to avoid any confusion from the use of my photo. #3 is not Prinz Ernst-August. This photo stems from an estate of a Bildberichter in 16.Armee and was taken during Westfeldzug. Prinz Ernst-August as Leutnant did not have EK2.

I don't feel good, even if I don't have legal protection, when my scan is shown in public without information I superimposed. This is not a case of "multiple copies exist". Use Digimarc software to find the identity of this scan. I created this scan two years ago to post here.

Comment

Hi Lars!

Welcome to the forums at last my friend!
                        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but check this one out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_W...inz_von_Bayern

Best regards,

Lohengrin

Comment

Originally posted by Akira Takiguchi
                            Just I want to avoid any confusion from the use of my photo. #3 is not Prinz Ernst-August. This photo stems from an estate of a Bildberichter in 16.Armee and was taken during Westfeldzug. Prinz Ernst-August as Leutnant did not have EK2.
                            Hi Akira,

Greetings from a long lost WW2-list member! I'm new to the forum but had to say hi again.

Was there any attribution to that photo or explanation about the SS 2nd model hat totenkopf? That's the first I've seen worn in such a fashion.

Cheers, Bill Huber

Comment

Hi Bill! Missed! Glad to see you again, may be it's been 10 years or more since the great WWII-L days?

I haven't done anything to identify the photo, but it's from a large estate of a Bildberichter and I have the negative number, so it should be possible to guess where it was taken. Just it'll take much time, I have very little time for this hobby at the moment...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X