What have I got here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What have I got here?

Hello all I have another question about a SD.KFZ I have a photo of. It looks like a 232 but there appears to be no fenders at all on the lead vehicle. Think they have been removed? notice the vehicle looks like it is named "Panther"?? thanks! Mike
    Attached Files

hi

Hi there Mike,

Your vehicle is a SdKfz 231, early version, as can be seen by the absence of cast vision ports on the hull and turret side. The mudguards have been removed, which is not a common sight on what appears to be a combat-ready example. Nice picture.

The use of Panther as a personal name on German AFVs is not so unusual, I have seen a SdKfz 251/7 belonging to the LSSAH also named this. Often a unit would have all the vehicles named according to a theme, so Leopard, Tiger, etc might be part of this unit.

The 232 is the command version, normally with large frame aerial or the late version had the less conspicuous star aerial.

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by S Ballantyne; 09-08-2005, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Steve, thanks for the informative reply. I agree with the 231 ID as I checked a little further and agree with you. Thanks for the help! Mike
      Originally posted by S Ballantyne
      Hi there Mike,

Your vehicle is a SdKfz 231, early version, as can be seen by the absence of cast vision ports on the hull and turret side. The mudguards have been removed, which is not a common sight on what appears to be a combat-ready example. Nice picture.

The use of Panther as a personal name on German AFVs is not so unusual, I have seen a SdKfz 251/7 belonging to the LSSAH also named this. Often a unit would have all the vehicles named according to a theme, so Leopard, Tiger, etc might be part of this unit.

The 232 is the command version, normally with large frame aerial or the late version had the less conspicuous star aerial.

Cheers
      Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X