Sd.Kfz. 222 or is it a 221

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sd.Kfz. 222 or is it a 221

Hello all I just got this photo today and was looking it over. I have a couple of questions the first one is obviously is this. It looks like a 222 but the wheels are what appear on the 221. I am not an expert and I am sure that parts did get mixed and matched but my consensus is that it is a 222. here is a scan. thanks again! Mike
    Attached Files

Second question is this. There is what looks like a name on the side. Did the scout car commander typically put his name on the vehicle? Thanks in advance for the help... Mike
    Attached Files

Comment

Mike,

I believe it is a 222.

The name on the side would most likely be a memorial to a KIA crewmember. In some cases they were just painted on as here, but I have seen images of plaques affixed to the sides of vehicles. I would consider it rare for a commander to paint his own name on the side. More often, a girlfriend or Wife's name. On occasions, nicknames as well. But I am guessing this name is Franz Kobler and would indicate a missing crewmember.
      hope this helps,
      Steve

Comment

Steve is most likely correct; Gefreiter Franz Kobler was killed in action on June 16th, 1940 in Sombernon, France (22km west of Dijon). This region was in the march route of 4.Panzer-Division (and close to 3.Panzer-Division).

<a href="http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&searchtype=address&countr y=FR&addtohistory=&address=&city=Sombernon+&zipcod e=">Sombernon</a>
        The machine is a 222. The wheel has nothing to do regarding identification between 221/2.

Comment

Steve, Thanks for the quick response and I hadn't thought of that and it makes perfect sense! Mike
          Originally posted by afrika
          Mike,

I believe it is a 222.

The name on the side would most likely be a memorial to a KIA crewmember. In some cases they were just painted on as here, but I have seen images of plaques affixed to the sides of vehicles. I would consider it rare for a commander to paint his own name on the side. More often, a girlfriend or Wife's name. On occasions, nicknames as well. But I am guessing this name is Franz Kobler and would indicate a missing crewmember.
          hope this helps,
          Steve

Comment

The most interesting feature of this 222 is dual-smoke-dischargers installed on both sides of the turret. Excellent documentation.

Comment

Thanks Akira, as usual an informative answer. Did you get that information from the Volksbund site? If so my growing grasp of German hasn't come up to that level YET to navigate that site well enough.
              The research material I have at hand had these wheels only on the 221 photos so that is the only reason I was unsure. Thanks again!

Originally posted by Akira Takiguchi
              Steve is most likely correct; Gefreiter Franz Kobler was killed in action on June 16th, 1940 in Sombernon, France (22km west of Dijon). This region was in the march route of 4.Panzer-Division (and close to 3.Panzer-Division).

Sombernon
              The machine is a 222. The wheel has nothing to do regarding identification between 221/2.

Comment

Originally posted by R MICHAEL
                Hello all I just got this photo today and was looking it over. I have a couple of questions the first one is obviously is this. It looks like a 222 but the wheels are what appear on the 221. I am not an expert and I am sure that parts did get mixed and matched but my consensus is that it is a 222. here is a scan. thanks again! Mike

It's a SdKfz.222.
                Very nice photo indeed.

Rob.

Comment

Wow Mr. Takiguchi!

Hello,

I wonder if you know what happend to the 5 guys, who obviously died
                  on june, 5th 1940 at Amiens (?). You really know a lot more, than I do.

Two names: Left grave is Gefreiter Alois Grubert, next is Gefreiter Herbert Bammer.

Kind regards

Köhler
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello Dr., thank you for participating actively on this forum, I appreciate it! No, I know no better than you, just I do standard procedure; your photo show a famous grave made by men from Pz.Rgt.33. The location is Vers-sur-Selle, just south of Amiens, like you stated. The Volksbund database says that Heribert Bammer was born in W&ouml;rth on 23.3.1914.

Comment

Grave says Herbert!

Hello,

note what the grave says!

Köhler
                      Attached Files

Comment

All graves!

1. Gefreiter Alois Grubert
                        2. Gefreiter Herbert (or Heribert) Bammer
                        3. Unteroffizier Thomas Fuchs (?)
                        4. Oberschütze Hans Diensel (?)
                        5. Gefreiter Hans Kerbler

Members of PR 33 ?

Kind regards

Köhler

Comment

From the database:

Gefr. Alois Gruböck, 11.12.1920 Gross Rupprechts
                          Gefr. Heribert Bammer, 23.3.1914 Wörth
                          Uffz. Thomas Fuchs, 12.12.1915 Kulmitzen
                          Obsch. Johann Dienstl, 7.5.1915 Eichberg
                          Gefr. hans Kerbler, 23.10.1914 Sonntagsberg

Heribert could well be an inaccuracy in the database. I have seen this grave in a few 9.Pz. albums, and once in a 10.Pz. album. The two division fought together, so there is a possibility that they are from 10.Pz., but I'd say PR33.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X