A letter to (?) Marie Moravec / Rheinhard Heydrick assination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A letter to (?) Marie Moravec / Rheinhard Heydrick assination

Thanks to Lloyd who responded to my post on letters in German I can't read he was able to shed light on one of them..."Something for you to consider here is that someone was very concise in what they gathered. It's historical significance takes on a greater meaning.

Stiebrowitz is now called Stěbořice in the Czech Republic. Do you know who Marie Moravec was? Marie Moravec as gömde resistance fighter. Please read here as it pertains to killing Rheinhard Heydrich.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...ion-anthropoid

"The family was made to stand in the hallway while the Gestapo searched their flat. Marie Moravec was allowed to go to the toilet, where she bit into a cyanide capsule and killed herself. Alois Moravec was unaware of his family's involvement with the resistance; he was taken to the Petschek Palace together with his 17-year-old son Ata, who was tortured throughout the day but refused to talk. The youth was stupefied with brandy, shown his mother’s severed head in a fish tank, and warned that, if he did not reveal the information they were looking for his father would be next. Ata’s strong willpower finally snapped, and he told the Gestapo what they wanted to know. Vlastimil “Ata” Moravec was executed by the Nazis in Mauthausen on October 24, 1942, the same day as his father, his fiancée, her mother and her brother were executed." I am reposting this as a stand alone in the hopes more details can be learned. Another member stated it was a basic KW letter. I did not know who Marie Moravec was or what she did. I did not post the back of the letter at the time. Knowing now something about her is this letter associated in any way with the gömde resistance group or related to killing Rheinhard Heydrich? Another member said the letter asked about people, but I do not know who they were or if they were apart of the group. I do not know if the letters author is connected or not. The to killing Rheinhard Heydrich was on May 27, 1942 . The letter is post marked 05.09.1941. The letter is from Augustin Moravec, I do not know the relationship between them.
    Attached Files

This site has allot of information plus then and now photos. https://www.tracesofevil.com/2006/11/prague.html

Comment

Information from US Government on the matter. The CIA's Secret report (declassified September 1993) on The Assassination of Reinhard Heydrich refers to this as Operation Salmon (both in the sub-title and in one footnote). In no place in this report is the name Anthropoid found.
      The Assassination of Reinhard Heydrich

APPROVED FOR RELEASE
      CIA HISTORICAL REVIEW PROGRAM
      22 SEPT 93

SECRET

A tyrant's death at patriots' hands revealed as Operation Salmon of Czech Intelligence in exile.

THE ASSASSINATION OF REINHARD HEYDRICH

R. C. Jaggers

On the twenty-ninth of May, 1942, Radio Prague announced that Reinhard Heydrich, Reichsprotektor of Bohemia and Moravia, was dying; assassins had wounded him fatally. On the sixth of June he died.

Though not yet forty at his death, the blond Heydrich had had a notable career. As a Free Corpsman in his teens he was schooled in street fighting and terrorism. Adulthood brought him a commission in the German navy, but he was cashiered for getting his fiancée pregnant and then refusing to marry her because a woman who gave herself lightly was beneath him. He then worked so devotedly for the Nazi Party that when Hitler came to power he put Heydrich in charge of the Dachau concentration camp. In 1934 he headed the Berlin Gestapo. On June 30 of that year, at the execution of Gregor Strasser, the bullet missed the vital nerve and Strasser lay bleeding from the neck. Heydrich's voice was heard from the corridor: "Not dead yet? Let the swine bleed to death."...This link talks about "Salmon" https://history.stackexchange.com/qu...refer-to-it-as
      Last edited by p-59a; 09-08-2020, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Information on Marie Moravec. https://historica.fandom.com/wiki/Marie_Moravcova
        in:
        1898 births, 1942 deaths, Czechoslovaks,
        and 4 moreMarie Moravcova

EDIT

WATCH 02:38
        The Loop (Games)Marie Moravcova (24 August 1898-17 June 1942) was a Czechoslovakian woman who assisted the Operation Anthropoid assassins in 1942. Biography

Marie Moravcova was born in Prague, Bohemia, Austria-Hungary (present-day Czech Republic) on 24 August 1898, and she later married Alois Moravec and had a son, Vlastimil (nicknamed "Ata"). They lived in a nice apartment, with their son becoming a violinist. During World War II, she sheltered Czechoslovakian army parachutists Jozef Gabcik and Jan Kubis in her apartment as they planned out Operation Anthropoid - the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich - and she had her maid Marie Kovarnikova assist them as well. In June 1942, Gestapo agents showed up at her apartment after Karel Curda betrayed the resistance, and Moravcova's husband and son were arrested. She asked the Gestapo agents if she could clean herself up before being taken in for questioning, and she bit on a cyanide capsule in the bathroom, killing herself. The Nazis later severed her head and used it to intimidate her son into betraying the resistance.

Comment

Some more info on Marie Moravec....At the heart of this resistance network was Marie Moravec who, through her tireless work with the Red Cross and Tuberculosis League, had established vital connections within Prague for her clandestine work. Aided by her 17-year-old son, Ata, “Tante Marie” Moravec was an integral and trusted member of the local resistance, and the two assassins often stayed in her house and grew very close to the Moravec family. https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/20...hard-heydrich/

Comment

Still more information....http://robdavistelford.co.uk/webspace/prague/

Comment

This photo has been identified as Atta Moravec Marie's son. If the information I read is correct Marie was connected to the Red Cross and she worked with the Tuberculosis League. Her son was a violinist. I'm not sure what the father did. If what little I know about the letter is true then what does being home for the harvest have to do with the Moravec's? They live in a nice flat in town. She is clearly not a farmers wife nor he a farmers son.
              Attached Files

Comment

If you shall have something in Czech language needed to translate, feel free to ask me. I can help.

Comment

Originally posted by Yubari View Post
                  If you shall have something in Czech language needed to translate, feel free to ask me. I can help.
                  Thank you, any information anyone can add would be fantastic.

Comment

The letter in full translation: Dear Maro and dear sister! Sending you the most heart-felt greetings and hope they reach you in good health. I hope that you have finished the harvest already in spite of the bad weather. We don't see anything of the harvest because there's only sand in the forest. I received your last letter but didn't understand the thing about the apple trees. Do the yellow ones along the way have a lot of fruit? (Unclear) beets not 50 kg. but rather 70-80 kg. You didn't deduct a lot for the threshing from the harvest, but that's okay. Greetings to all relatives and friends, Tingler, Ignac, Klapetek and also greetings from Rusinsky. Also greetings to everyone in Gorlic. Hopefully we will all see each other again at home. What's the master tailor Gryger doing does he still have a job in Troppan? With heart-felt greetings, yours, Augustin

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
                      The letter in full translation: Dear Maro and dear sister! Sending you the most heart-felt greetings and hope they reach you in good health. I hope that you have finished the harvest already in spite of the bad weather. We don't see anything of the harvest because there's only sand in the forest. I received your last letter but didn't understand the thing about the apple trees. Do the yellow ones along the way have a lot of fruit? (Unclear) beets not 50 kg. but rather 70-80 kg. You didn't deduct a lot for the threshing from the harvest, but that's okay. Greetings to all relatives and friends, Tingler, Ignac, Klapetek and also greetings from Rusinsky. Also greetings to everyone in Gorlic. Hopefully we will all see each other again at home. What's the master tailor Gryger doing does he still have a job in Troppan? With heart-felt greetings, yours, Augustin
                      Pauke, Thank you for the translation. In the U.S. we use month, day and year on post marks. What is this post mark? OOPS! I see your from Florida. Anyone know how to read that post mark?

Comment

Can anyone make out the writing in pencil? I assume it was written after it was delivered.

Comment

Fascinating...Great info and fine education !

Comment

On the back of the letter in pencil I can see "Troppau" This is a google search. http://treemagic.org/rademacher/www....d_troppau.html

Comment

Post mark is 5 Sept. 1941.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X