Letter from German soldier held by Americans APO 516 1st MLS area 1946

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter from German soldier held by Americans APO 516 1st MLS area 1946

This is my original post...https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...ch?id=11721555... this is one of the letters.
    Attached Files

He was captured in an American POW Camp (150th Labor Supervision Center) in France.
    He writes about his situation in the camp and the different fellow prisoners who came from differen social classes.

Gerdan

Comment

Allow me to add a full translation:

"France, 2 March 46
      Dear parents, Helga and all.
      Even though there is much on my mind that I would like to let you know, it is hard for me to find the right way to start. And after one has written but a few lines, the space is already filled. As you can imagine, life behind barbed wire is very monotonous. However, there are always some comrades who provide a little entertainment. For the thing is: Here in the prisoner camp, we have a varied mixture of all classes and professions of an entire nation. And just as one can find high-ranking civil servants, there are also performers, artists, musicians and comedians. This latter group of comrades is responsible for the other ones being able to find some much-needed diversion. These few happy hours and, above all else, the mail from home are the only things that make our time as prisoners halfway bearable. A thousand greetings from far away, your Albert
      ."
      Last edited by HPL2008; 08-17-2020, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HPL2008 View Post
        Allow me to add a full translation:

"France, 2 March 46
        Dear parents, Helga and all.
        Even though there is much on my mind that I would like to let you know, it is hard for me to find the right way to start. And after one has written but a few lines, the space is already filled. As you can imagine, life behind barbed wire is very monotonous. However, there are always some comrades who provide a little entertainment. For the thing is: Here in the prisoner camp, we have a varied mixture of all classes and professions of an entire nation. And just as one can find high-ranking civil servants, there are also performers, artists, musicians and comedians. This latter group of comrades is responsible for the other ones being able to find some much-needed diversion. These few happy hours and, above all else, the mail from home are the only things that make our time as prisoners halfway bearable. A thousand greetings from far away, your Albert
        ."
        Thank you very much for the translation!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X