SS-Hauptsturmführer Alfred Lex, Das Reich Ritterkreuzträger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS-Hauptsturmführer Alfred Lex, Das Reich Ritterkreuzträger

Last week the German auctionhaus Ratisbons sold a grouping of photos, documents and letters from SS-Hstuf. Alfred Lex of "Das Reich". According to information contained within Otto Weidinger's 5-volume set of "Das Reich" Lex was addressing his men on a Sturmgeschütz when he was shot in the head by a Soviet sniper. All books I have read have his final rank listed as SS-Hauptsturmführer, but one of the documents in the grouping is a letter to Lex's parents from Generalleutnant Rudolf Schmundt, noting Lex having the rank of SS-Sturmbannführer.
    My question to Members of the Forum is, could this promotion have been granted posthumously and is there any documentation anywhere which can validate this promotion with a date? I can only imagine that Schmundt, being Hitler's chief adjutant, would have access to the best information possible so I personally feel it is unlikely he addressed Lex's final rank incorrectly. Hopefully someone on WAF might be able to confirm the promotion, and in doing so, we have a rare chance to correct history.
    The document I have included for everyone's reference below, along with an approximate translation for those interested in reading further:

Willingly, thanks from the German people to your son, who was awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
    SS Sturmbannführer Alfred Lex
    To proclaim beyond his death, the Führer has granted you ongoing monthly allowances of 200 Reichmarks from April 1, 1944, using the resources that were personally available to him.
    The Führer has decided to do this in order to enable you and your wife to shape life in the way that your son, who had fallen in the field of honor, would wish for both of you.
    The Minister of State and Head of the President's Office will arrange for the approved amount to be paid out.
    On behalf of the Führer,
    Signed:
    Schmundt
    Generalleutnant.

Looking forward to seeing what findings and comments come out of this post.
    Cheers, Patrick

Having troubles getting the image to upload, hope this works

Comment

Having troubles getting the image to upload, hope this works

Comment

Larger scan
        Attached Files

Comment

He was posthumously promoted to Sturmbannfuhrer. Was once a very nice Group. Sadly then sold by the Brick who took it from the Family and sold it piece by piece to squeeze the last Cent out of it. His wife would roll over in her grave if she knew what the clown did with it...
          WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

A number of images in the auction shows one of the relatives holding Lex's Ritterkreuz, DKiG and the Nahkampfspange. It also appears his Wehrpass was present on the table as well. Do you know if the medals have already been sold, and were there any award documents that went with the medals? Any images of the original grouping that you could post?
            Thx for posting!

Comment

As i wrote, it was a nice complete Group. Great KC, K&O when i remember correct. Some Award Docs, i think German Cross was there but no KC Doc, Medals, his Wehrpass and some other nice Stuff. Was all together till that Donkey Dealer showed up, payed a Joke Price for it and then sold it left and right, piece by piece. I have to look if i have somewhere a Picture from the Group, i think i took one when i visited them. If i find it i post it.
              WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

Thanks for your recent post and updates, I hope you will be able to find any pictures and post for the benefit of all WAF members. Do you remember a date when this grouping was sold by the family? Unfortunately this is not the first time a spectacular grouping has been sold to dealers or unscrupulous collectors where profit and greed trumps preservation. From what it sounds like Lex's collection was likely sold to numerous collectors and this grouping finally went on the open market. As a collector of signed photos and documents of W-SS Ritterkreuzträger I was happy to pick this grouping up, but not knowing that this group was already split up I was hoping that this was the first round of perhaps many at Ratisbons. Now it would appear that no further documentation is forthcoming from future Ratisbons auctions which I guess makes the purchase of this set even more special. If there are other collectors reading this that own some of Lex's documentation I would welcome their correspondence, either on WAF or through private messages. Lex appears to have been an outstanding soldier and more needs to be researched about him!

Comment

Does anyone have any information on Lex from NARA or the BDC?
                  Thx!

Comment

wonder who the lucky one is that got the other Der Fuhrer lot , that EK2 document was pretty special

Comment

just to clarify, it wasn't me. Went above what I thought it would or could afford to pay

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X