possible repro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possible repro

I have this picture of a Flemish SS volunteer which I was told was likely a copy. As I was wanting to sell it, is there any way that I can be sure?

here is the original post:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=114618

Tony

Take a blacklight/uv-lamp and look if the reverse is glowing or not.
    If it is glowing it´s repro. If not, it could be a repro too but the chances are a little bit smaller

Is the photo as sharp as other photos from ww2? Repros often are a lot more grainier (does this word excist in english?).

Comment

Hi

Just out of interest why was it named as a possible fake?

Cheers

Karl

Comment

reason for repro

I was informed that:
        "I know the bother of this man, they were with 3 brothers in the Flemish Legion, One was KIA.
        The man on the picture died after the war and his brother is still alive.
        I'm quicke sure that your picture is a repro.."

I asked why would they repro this picture and was told that:
        "because they ask here in Flanders 75 - 100 euro for one original picture of a flemish soldiers..The man has this picture for sure."

I have a top of the line UV light and I'll check it out later.

Tony

Comment

375nm UV light test

ok..here are pictures of the UV lighting. I have 375nm light with 10deg bulb. Some pix are a little blurry. Please help me decipher these as paper is not my forte.

I laid out the picture along with another SS picture I picked up at the same time and some other known period photos and in one inset, a piece of white paper.

Unfortunately, the reverse appear to glow, very white as shown below. Do you not agree?

The obverse, though, does not appear to glow except for some little white spots. I don't know if this is normal for reproductions.

I've asked my source to follow up with their source to see if they have the 'original' or not.

Finally, if in fact a reprint. How much can I expect to get for this picture (and the other SS that also appears to glow white in the photos below) on the Bazaar?

thanks all!!

Tony
          Attached Files

Comment

reverse

here's the reverse that glow...
            Attached Files

Comment

Tony,

Can you post a scan of photo C ?
              It's like i have seen that photo (face) before but it's too blurry.

Thanks,
              Kris

Comment

2nd SS man

@Kris: pursuant to you request. I believe I got these 2 SS photos at the same time...ergo, likely both are modern reproductions.
                Tony

Comment

Originally posted by entasis
                  @Kris: pursuant to you request. I believe I got these 2 SS photos at the same time...ergo, likely both are modern reproductions.
                  Tony
                  Hi Tony,

I'm at work right now but i'm almost certain that i also have this picture (pic C) in my files. I'll check it when i get home.
                  The soldier is also Flemish and is - or better was - from the area where i live.
                  I'm quite certain that this photo is a reproduction as i know where the original photo is. Not with me and not even in collector hands.

I'll get back to you when i get home to confirm my initial toughts.

Greets,
                  Kris

Comment

So i think C and D are repros

I thought that it would be a repro even when i saw the front of the photo.
                    Its the typical shape and color many repros have

I also smell on photos to see if they have this typical old smell or not.

Comment

Hi Tony,

Here's a scan of my copy of the same person. The pose seems to be different but definately the same guy.

But knowing the background of these pictures etc it's difficult for me to believe yours would be an original... sorry.

Greets,
                      Kris
                      Attached Files

Comment

pix

is yours an original?

as you can see from my pictures, the reverse glow like pure white under UV.

I plan to see as reprints. Any idea what a fair value for these would be for the Bazaar?

Tony

Comment

Hi Tony,

Mine is 100 % repro. No question about that.

As on value ? No idea, sorry...

Regards,
                          Kris
                          Last edited by Kris; 08-18-2005, 08:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X