Willich card- VDA donation/dispatch rider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Willich card- VDA donation/dispatch rider

Well, I would like to get some opinions on this. I did spend some money on this card, but whether I got ripped off or not isn't really at issue. On the back the VDA donation dated 1940 is blacked out. I was able to read most of it using some photoshop trickery. The card doesn't glow.
    Was this common practice to be able to use the card as a donation favor following years? Also are there any other Willrich collectors out there that can tell me if this card is uncommon?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

The blacked out donation id area..
    Attached Files

Comment

Lisa ,

The card is not that rare these were reprinted and published by the VDA for fundraising. VDA Means Volksbund fur das Deuschtum im Deutschland" (Association for Germanism Abroad).
      I know of at least 4 sites were this is listed at between $14-17 USD. As with all postcards grading is important, the "mintier" - the better.

here is a card with the VDA not blacked out from the same willrich series as yours.

Craig
      Attached Files

Comment

Hallo Lisa,

I have a decent collection of Willrich material as evidenced by my postings in some of the Forum's Willrich threads. I have the exceptionally scarce E7 cards as will as some of the rarely seen cards of Feldmarschall Busch and others, so I am not the casual collector of this material.

While Craigob is correct in indicating the card you have is a basic card and not that rare, the overprinted VDA printing on the back is NOT often seen. I, for one have not seen this before and, therefore, do not have it my collection. Whether this is a constant variety or not is the question.

I shall be checking with several other advanced Willrich collectors to see what they know. Until we know more, I would suggest not allowing this card to go out of your hands as a common example of this well known card.

Cheers,

Ramon

Comment

Originally posted by ramon
          Hallo Lisa,

While Craigob is correct in indicating the card you have is a basic card and not that rare, the overprinted VDA printing on the back is NOT often seen. I, for one have not seen this before and, therefore, do not have it my collection. Whether this is a constant variety or not is the question.
          Ramon
          hello

I look for forward to hearing what the collectors have to say in the mean time if you wish, I can can provide you with several sources of willrich cards with the VDA Overprint which to me, show how common these donation cards are.

Craig

Comment

Hallo Craigob,

I apologize. I don't think I'm making myself clear. Understand what I am saying....I accept that the basic card is a COMMON one. I get that. What I do not accept as being common is the black out overprint over the VDA info in the top left corner of the card's reverse.

Trust me on this, I suspect I've handled more Willrich material than 95% of the collectors on this forum, including most likely yourself. I simply am not comfortable in dismissing this card as a common, run of the mill example out of hand until I know more.

As far as any sources of VDA cards out there, I know that my collection of Willrich and German Propaganda cards will rival any you care to refer to.

I simply want to know more about the card she has shown here. Do not overlook the comment I made in my original post above. Is this a CONSTANT variety or not? This is what I want to know about.

Cheers,

Ramon
            Last edited by ramon; 08-18-2005, 07:33 AM.

Comment

ok then yes, thats clearer my friend, the black overprint is indeed weird but i am attributing the overprint to maybe the card being reused/reissued at a later dated than the VDA drive was assigned to and at no point did i question your collection. I have seen your prop collection posted here and is most impressive.

Hallo Craigob,

I apologize. I don't think I'm making myself clear. Understand what I am saying....I accept that the basic card is a COMMON one. I get that. What I do not accept as being common is the black out overprint over the VDA info in the top left corner of the card's reverse.
              Ramon

Comment

I must echo Ramon’s sentiments. I too have a large Willrich collection and I have never seen such a bold ‘overprint’ on a VDA card.

I attach photos of an ‘E’ series overprint in my collection. The card in question is E71 – Schmolzer.

Kevin

the overprinted VDA printing on the back is NOT often seen. I, for one have not seen this before and, therefore, do not have it my collection. Whether this is a constant variety or not is the question.
                Ramon
                Attached Files

Comment

Reverse
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks to everyone. I must say; I am looking forward to the verdict on this. If I can provide further information, let me know.

Comment

According to the 'Willrich - War Artist' book by Klaus J Peters the only official VDA over prints were the following:

These are all from my collection.

Kevin

Originally posted by Lisa Thompson
                      Thanks to everyone. I must say; I am looking forward to the verdict on this. If I can provide further information, let me know.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Sooo.. What does all this mean? Would the concensus be that my card is a fake, overprinted unofficially, what?

Comment

Lisa,

Personally, I don't think your card is a fake. All the other features 'look right'.

Compare the reverse of your card to the one that Craig posted. Ignoring the overprint, all the other featues are identical, including the font on the titles.

I suspect that there was some reasoning behind the decision to overprint. However, this has been lost over time.

Kevin

Originally posted by Lisa Thompson
                              Sooo.. What does all this mean? Would the concensus be that my card is a fake, overprinted unofficially, what?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X