Unteroffiziere des Heeres mit dem Ritterkreuz - Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unteroffiziere des Heeres mit dem Ritterkreuz - Cards

I have one of these cards given to me by a friend when i was a kid. It is about the size of a pack of playing cards.

He had about 15 of them. This and other relics were vet bring backs from his uncle and I do not doubt the authenticity.

Does anyone have any info about these cards and could someone translate it for me?

Any info about Robert Eichert is also welcomed, I did find his name on a list of RK.

thanks,
    JP

Last edited by paddle; 08-16-2005, 11:12 PM. Reason: edit

more info, more questions

Ok I have learned more about this man from two sites.

1 - http://www.ww2awards.com/person/29931
    Shows that he was awarded the Deutschen Kreuze in Gold, 13 September 1942, at the rank of Feldwebel.

2 - http://www.das-ritterkreuz.de/index_...det&wert1=1227
    Shows he was born 14.07.1914 Pillupönen/Ostpreußen and died 23.09.1944 ostw. Riga.
    He was awarded the Knights Cross 20.04.1943 as Zugführer 8./PzRgt 36, at the rank of Oberfeldwebel.
    This site also lists him as Leutnant for his final rank.

I have a few questions...

1 - Has anyone seen this kind of "card" before?
    2 - Would someone translate the reverse of the card for me?
    3 - Is Zugfuhrer the same as "Der Speiß" as in this thread...
    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=112417
    4 - Does anyone have any more information on this man?

Thanks, JP
    Last edited by paddle; 08-16-2005, 11:32 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

Hello JP

Robert Eichert was awarded both DKiG and RK while belonging to the same unit 8/Pz.Rgt. 36 (14. Pz. Div.).
      He received EK1 on 15/08/41.
      His last unit was 14/Pz.Rgt. 36.

To answer to your questions :
      - Yes I have already such cards before. This kind of card belongs to a sery depicting NCO from the armly who were awarded the KC. This is very similar to propaganda postcards which were published by Hoffmann, Röhr Verlag or Film Foto Verlag displaying Ritterkreuzträger. I think this card was published in 2 sizes (but I would need a confirmation for this assumption) :
      - a postcard size (roughly 14x9cm)
      - a smaller size (like yours for which I don't know the exact measures).
      The reverse side was different depending on the picture was printed in postcard or in the smaller size. This latter one, I believe, was intented to be glued in a devoted album.
      You will notice the serial number assigned to the Eichert card in this sery : 55. I think there were about 100 cards in this sery. It would be interesting to know what are your other cards as well as their related serial number.
      - As for the translation, I will let it to a skiller member. LEt's say this is a a very short bio notice also specifying why Eichert got the KC (roughly, in 79 days, he has destroyed 36 tanks and 52 guns. For that, he was awarded the KC).
      - Zugführer means roughly squad leader or something like that. This is a functiuon, not a rank like Spiess (Company Adjutant).
      Hope this helps
      Regards
      Denis

Comment

Hello JP

Sent you a PM.
        Brgds
        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Denis
          - Zugführer means roughly squad leader or something like that. This is a functiuon, not a rank like Spiess (Company Adjutant).
          Hope this helps
          Regards
          Denis
          Denis, not quite right. Spiess is not a rank, but it is also a function. Not sure if this is the correct english word to use, but this is basically the quartermaster of a company or battery and is usually of Senior NCO rank. He was/is the one responsible for pay, food, cloths, provisions generally, etc. Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Torsten, a Spiess in English is a First Sergeant or Sergeant Major depending on the army (US or Brit) and time period - obviously "First Sergeant" is an Englishized version of "Sergeant Major" but both exist now in the US Army. You are right that Spiess in German is not a rank, but rather a position which could be held by a senior NCO. In the US Army, the Spiess or First Sergeant has been known at various times as "Top", "Top Kick", "First Shirt". I'm sure there are other nicknames too. Currently, in the US Army "First Sergeant" is both a rank and a position at company/battery level. If a senior NCO with a rank below First Sergeant is holding the position, he is known as an "Acting First Sergeant".
            "Sergeant Major" (Staff Sergeant Major and Command Sergeant Major) is used in the US for the battalion level and above.

Comment

Zugführer in a panzer unit was a platoon leader; Eichert was a platoon leader in the 8th Company of Panzer Regiment 36.

Greg
              sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
              www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

Thanks everyone for your answers and help. Knowing more about this man's story brings the picture to life.

Here a translation of the reverse, provided by Paul

Oberfeldwebel Robert Eichert, born 14.06.1914 in Pillupönen (Ostpreussen), attacked alone, passing over very unfavorable terrain, the outnumbered enemy forces and destroyed 7 tanks during this attack. In total over 79 combats he destroyed 36 armored vehicles and 52 cannon of the enemy.
                To reckognize his merit, he received, wounded five times, the RK on April 20, 1943.

To Denis - I do not have any other cards. My friend had them 30 years ago in his collection. I wish I did.

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X