Signal magazine..... common?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signal magazine..... common?

I stumbled across a local Coin/German Medal dealer today in of all places, New Zealand and I noticed a stack of 'Signal' magazines buried behind the predictable plethora of Gallipoli books.

There was about 30 of them, but as I have never even seen a Signal until today, I have no idea if these are tough to find, or still readily available everywhere.

Can someone clue me up?

Marshall

They are not rare, but you are less likely to find original German language editions than editions published in French or Dutch, which seem to be the ones most commonly encountered.
    German language editions will be more expensive.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi Marshall,
      I am a Signal collector of the Dutch magazines. Signal was published in almost 25 languages .
      Makes great reading!!! Great propaganda. Also very interesting to see change of attitude. The very early (early 1940 are only in German) and the very late (late 1944 and beginning 1945) are very rare and are therefore extremely expensive.

KR
      Pascal

Comment

Are the English language versions the rarest ?

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Broadhurst
          English Signals are indeed very rare.

KR
          Pascal

Comment

Thanks Lads..

Marshall

Comment

Did you buy any of the Signals?
              What language are they printed in?

Comment

From what I read here on the forum, from the last 1945 issue are known to exist only 2-3 and the price is like a pile of FJ helmets
                The World Needs Peace

Interesting photo archive: http://www.lostbulgaria.com

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Broadhurst
                  The rarest edition is Russian edition

Comment

Regarding Signal magazines, there as some real experts on this forum who operate their own websites devoted entirely to Signal magazine. Simply Google with the words Signal magazine and you will find them.

There is some unintentionally misleading info in the posts above.

Signal was published from the very beginning in German, English, French and Italian. From there it grew to over 23 languages including Russian, Turkish, and Arabic.

French would indeed be the most plentiful.

The early 1940 issues 1-3, the late 1944 issues 13-19 and the 1945 1-5 are the more difficult to find. There is a fabled 1945 issue 6 known to exist but is just about never seen.

Also in the mix are the mini Signals that were published and designed to be sent to England as a propaganda tool via V-1 Rockets. Seldom seen and wonderful to behold.

Nice items to have are the insert Signal Extra insert sheets found in several of the later issues. These Extras covered in greated depth a particular propaganda theme beyond that found in the normal Signal issue. Of some interest is collecting the same basic issue of Signal but in as many languages as you can find and study the differences in the articles contained therein. One can find the subtle differences in the articles presented to suit the area of that particular edition.

Again, I cannot recommend enough the website run by Alexander Zöller. It's in English and very in depth. There is also the Spanish language site of Carlos Diaz as well. Both are excellent.

Although it pains me to recommend eBay given their caviler way of handling German related items, you will find a steady offering of Signals on their site. eBay is a good place to start if you are interested in building a bedrock collection of this most interesting magazine.

Cheers,

Ramon
                    Last edited by ramon; 08-25-2005, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Biro
                      I stumbled across a local Coin/German Medal dealer today in of all places, New Zealand and I noticed a stack of 'Signal' magazines buried behind the predictable plethora of Gallipoli books.

There was about 30 of them, but as I have never even seen a Signal until today, I have no idea if these are tough to find, or still readily available everywhere.

Can someone clue me up?

Marshall

hi there,

Here in Holland these Signals are very common,like the German,French and Dutch editions.They do not more than €5,-/€10,00.Only the 1945 ones are more expensive

Greetzzz,Patrick

Comment

I look forward to some substantiation for Patrick's assertion that early 1940 and late 1944 issues of Signal are as inexpensive as he claims. I don't want to mislead the OP that this is the case when it simply is not true.

Ramon

Comment

Originally posted by ramon
                          I look forward to some substantiation for Patrick's assertion that early 1940 and late 1944 issues of Signal are as inexpensive as he claims. I don't want to mislead the OP that this is the case when it simply is not true.

Ramon
                          Hi Ramon,

I talk about the later 40's till the late 1944 ones

Greetzzz

Comment

Originally posted by patrick h
                            Hi Ramon,

I talk about the later 40's till the late 1944 ones

Greetzzz
                            OK...however, that is not what your original post said. Only the 1945....

Cheers,

Ramon

Comment

Originally posted by ramon
                              OK...however, that is not what your original post said. Only the 1945....

Cheers,

Ramon
                              Was maybe to quick with posting,yeah,but the late 1944 are here easier to get for the price is said than maybe abroad

greetings,Patrick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X