• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and wasn't Japan in war against China?

Comment

Originally posted by kennethc
      Lunch Meeting?
      look at that patch on his arm, never seen that before, of course iv'e also never heard of asians in thee w.S.S. or wehrmacht. Actually im not sure they could get into the waffen SS because of them not being "Aryan"...

Comment

Originally posted by Unteroffizier
        look at that patch on his arm, never seen that before, of course iv'e also never heard of asians in thee w.S.S. or wehrmacht. Actually im not sure they could get into the waffen SS because of them not being "Aryan"...
        In the later stages of the war, beeing Aryan was no longer a criteria for joining the wss.

Comment

I don\'t think Vietnamese ever join German Army.

Also, The Asian Officer was Heer not SS.

Originally posted by Jean-Loup
          How did guys from Korea, China, Viet Nam, or Japan end up in Germany, or in the German Army??
          Last edited by kennethc; 06-24-2005, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kennethc
            Possibly Japanese.
            more probably turkistan note arme badge and the special nation emblem1942-43 in place of the brest eagle

Comment

Unteroffizier wrote "look at that patch on his arm, never seen that before, of course iv'e also never heard of asians in thee w.S.S. or wehrmacht. Actually im not sure they could get into the waffen SS because of them not being "Aryan"..."

Unteroffizier, you will be surprised my friend. There were many Non "aryans" who served with WSS and Wehrmacht. The French are not Aryan and neither are the Ukrainains and other Slaves, but they had their own Divisions. Charlemagne Division, Galicia Division, Handschar Division etc.

Akira, I wish I knew. I just am aware of how the faces/appearances/traits of different ethnic asian peoples are, due to the fact of having lived there for over 1o decades.
              But I can assure you that most of the pics by Kennthc are Chinese.
              But, #7, #13, #14 seem to be Japanese.

Haruki perhaps you are correct about #8?

Comment

Still I would love to see photos of

1)Korean wehrmacht?
                2)Japanese guy from Charlemagne Division? At least name and rank.
                Most intrigued.
                Thanks

Comment

"I just am aware of how the faces/appearances/traits of different ethnic asian peoples are, due to the fact of having lived there for over 1o decades."

Really, it must be hard adapting to the internet when you are over 100

Comment

Hahaha yeah, guess I made an error. I mean tover 10 years.
                    Still I feel very old.

Comment

#7 is definetly from one of the southern central Soviet Republics. A descendant of Ghengiz Khans' golden horde. The picture was taken in France, Summer, 1944 and he was later a POW in (very) northern Maine. There were lots of Khergans, Chechins, etc. in US POW camps. This is one of the men later repatriated to Russia who was executed.

Comment

Poor SOB...
                        McColluh, how did you know?

Comment

I know I have read an account of some Japanese troops in Normandy during the invasion. I am not sure what their capacity was, or what uniform they were in. It was in the book, When Eagle's Screamed, about the jump into Normandy by the 101st. I wish I still had the book, it was by Bantam Publishing if anyone can find it.

Burgett, Donald R. (1967):Curahee; A Screaming Eagle At <STATE />

Normandy</PLACE /></STATE /></P>c. 1967 Donald R. Burgett

Houghton Mifflin <STATE />

New York</PLACE /></STATE /></P>Also Published Under the Title As Eagles screamed By Bantam

Comment

Sorry for people claming these pictures have Japanese people, but me I only see Eastern Asian from the USSR republics. No Japanese & perhaps no Chinese.

Comment

The pic 2& 3 are famous photos. He is son of Chiang Kai-shek
                              ===> Chiang Wei Kuo. He is Chinese of course NOT USSR Eastern Asian.
                              Pic #14 is either Chinese/Japanese Wehrmacht Officer.

Originally posted by Soviet
                              Sorry for people claming these pictures have Japanese people, but me I only see Eastern Asian from the USSR republics. No Japanese & perhaps no Chinese.
                              Last edited by kennethc; 06-27-2005, 01:53 AM.

Comment

#8 shows them wearing the breast insignia worn by the ROA and some Cossack formations along with the sleeve badge of one or other of those formations. Take a look at Foreign Legions of the Third Reich Vol.4

#14 shows the Japanese sunburst and is a fascinating shot. It would be interesting to know what kind of exchange programs the Germans had with other Asian countries.

Determining nationality from photos purely by looking at someone's racial features simply doesn't work, especially if you then completely ignore other clues in the pictures and when you have so many troops serving in the Wehrmacht coming from such a huge and multiculturally diverse country as the USSR.
                                Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X