Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grouping Jagdgeschwader 54 KIA

Hello,

today I got this nice grouping of a NCO serving with Jagdgeschwader 54 since June 1943 (I guess, is that right?). According to the letter and internet sources he managed to shoot down 4 enemy planes on June 13rd 1943, which were his first 4 aeral victories (2 LAGG-3, 1 I-180 and 1 IL-2). On July 15th he shot down another LAGG-3, on July 17th a Jak-7B and on July 19th a LA-5.

The letter from his commandeur says that he claimed 8 victories. Has anybody info about the last one?

He did not return from a enemy flight on August 3rd 1943 and was reported as missing in action.

One picture shows him in front of his Fw190, which serial number did it have?

Thank you!
    Attached Files

Great grouping, and the von Bonin and Ibel signatures are very nice. The letter does state that he had scored 8 victories.

Comment

Very nice group!!

Greg.

Comment

Yes, 8 but I only have found 7 listed.

Comment

Fw

Fw 190A-5 Werk# (15)2607 "White 4" (lost 8/3/43)

Comment

Believe that the EK I is signed by General der Flieger Günther Korten

At the beginning of 1943 Korten was promoted to General and in the summer replaced Alfred Keller at Luftflotte 1 (1st Air Fleet). A few weeks later, on 25 August he accepted the position of Chief of the General Staff of the Luftwaffe, after the former Chief of the General Staff Hans Jeschonnek committed suicide.

Korten was seriously wounded in the Wolfsschanze near Rastenburg during the 20 July Plot in 1944, in which Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg attempted to assassinate Hitler with a bomb. Two days after the assassination attempt he succumbed to his injuries in the military hospital attached to the Führer's headquarters. Like the other military victims Rudolf Schmundt and Heinz Brandt he was posthumously promoted, in his case to Colonel-General.
            Originally, Korten was buried in the Tannenberg Memorial.[1] He was reburied in the Friedhof Bergstraße cemetery in Steglitz, Berlin. The grave still exists.

Comment

Excellent grouping, a beautiful set of documents.
              Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Today.

Working...
              X