German Photo with writing on back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Photo with writing on back

My stepson's grandfather brought this photo back. Anyone know what the writing on the back says?
    Joe

The writing on back
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Joe,

It reads:

"Standarte und Kommandeur I/J.R.3. in Wagstadt"
      (banner (flag) and commander of I/J.R.3. in Wagstadt)

I haven´t checked where Wagstadt is but very likely it is located in one of the annexed countries Austria or Sudetenland. I base this theory on the early type helmets/uniforms in connection with the banner (not the flag!) that reads "Reich" in reverse. Probably was a "Heim In´s Reich" (home into the Reich) banner in full.

Cheers, Frank H.
      Cheers, Frank

Comment

Hi Joe,

Wagstadt (now known as Bilovec, I believe) is part of the present day Czech Republic. Part of the Sudetenland during the war.

Rick

Comment

Thanks Frank & Rick
          There was only two photo's in the items my stepson got. Here's the other one. The grandfather brought back lots more photos. But my stepson's Aunt has them in another state. Joe

Comment

I read that as "S. R. 3" for Schützen-Regiment 3-- the designation of a rifles unit in a Panzer Division, later to be called Panzergrenadier. It's the same squiggle as the "S" in "Standarte." The funny little line over the single m in "Komandeur" is a German way of writing a double letter only once, but can often be confused for the "smile" over a small letter "u" in really bad handwriting.

Sch.Rgt. 3 was in the 3rd Panzer Division in 1938, which came from Wehrkreis III (Berlin) for the Austrian Anschluss.

Comment

So the <i>Kommandeur</i> was <i>Oberst</i> Ulrich Kleemann (later won oak leaves)... Wish the picture was clearer!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X