CEJ Books

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Sobering Letter... German Handwriting Help Needed!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Sobering Letter... German Handwriting Help Needed!!

Hi all, I have a sobering letter here today to show...

A letter sent from Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp, to a Polish woman.

My ability to read German handwriting is very limited. So I'd like to ask for your help to see the letter in typed. Please DO NOT post the English translation here, as I'd love to do that myself.

I know it's not a short task, so I really appreciate any help in advance!!

Regards,
    Ran
    Attached Files

Liebe Elzinni! Dein Brief vom 20.09. hat mir unerwartete Freude gebracht. Er ist herrlich geschmückt. Wer hat
    es denn gemalt? Man sieht darin viel Arbeit und Mühe. Könnte es sein, dass Du die Künstlerin gewesen bist?
    Ich glaube nicht? Ich habe etwas Ahnung von Malerei, es ist meine liebste Beschäftigung. Ich werde
    auch später in dieser Richtung arbeiten. Ich male sehr viel. Was macht der Zas? Er hat sicher viel
    zu tun - wenn ihm die Nerven nicht versagen, und er nicht in die Fussstapfen von Garoch folgt,
    so wird alles in Ordnung gehen. Ich bin gesund - träume von ruhigen stillem Familienleben.
    Ich verlange nicht nach Menschen Gewirr, nach vielen Menchen u. Bekanntschaften, die bringen
    uns kein Glück. Menschen kenne ich zu gut - ich vermisse bei ihnen Offenheit und jeglichen
    Idealismus. Wenn ich an die Schulzeit zurückdenke, als ich noch naiv gewesen bin - wie schön
    erschien mir damals die Welt und alles was mich umgab. Wie ideal und romantisch habe
    ich meine erste Schulliebe betrachtet. Wie naiv war das alles - und doch wie wunderbar. Ich sah
    nichts um mich - ich liebte - und das war alles für mich. Jetzt - leider wird jetzt das Herz gelenkt vom
    Verstand - das Ergebnis schwerer Jahre. Ich suche nicht momentanes Glueck, ich suche das beständige,
    stark gegrundete Glück. Wenn ich Dich auch jetzt schon lieb haben sollte - so wirst Du nie dieses
    Eingeständnis im Brief finden. Ich muss erst zurückkehren, wir muessen miteinander einleben,
    unsere Liebe muss gross, beständig - ohne Lug und Trug, ohne materiellen Hintergrund sein. Dein Teddi

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
      Liebe Elzinni! Dein Brief vom 20.09. hat mir unerwartete Freude gebracht. Er ist herrlich geschmückt. Wer hat
      es denn gemalt? Man sieht darin viel Arbeit und Mühe. Könnte es sein, dass Du die Künstlerin gewesen bist?
      Ich glaube nicht? Ich habe etwas Ahnung von Malerei, es ist meine liebste Beschäftigung. Ich werde
      auch später in dieser Richtung arbeiten. Ich male sehr viel. Was macht der Zas? Er hat sicher viel
      zu tun - wenn ihm die Nerven nicht versagen, und er nicht in die Fussstapfen von Garoch folgt,
      so wird alles in Ordnung gehen. Ich bin gesund - träume von ruhigen stillem Familienleben.
      Ich verlange nicht nach Menschen Gewirr, nach vielen Menchen u. Bekanntschaften, die bringen
      uns kein Glück. Menschen kenne ich zu gut - ich vermisse bei ihnen Offenheit und jeglichen
      Idealismus. Wenn ich an die Schulzeit zurückdenke, als ich noch naiv gewesen bin - wie schön
      erschien mir damals die Welt und alles was mich umgab. Wie ideal und romantisch habe
      ich meine erste Schulliebe betrachtet. Wie naiv war das alles - und doch wie wunderbar. Ich sah
      nichts um mich - ich liebte - und das war alles für mich. Jetzt - leider wird jetzt das Herz gelenkt vom
      Verstand - das Ergebnis schwerer Jahre. Ich suche nicht momentanes Glueck, ich suche das beständige,
      stark gegrundete Glück. Wenn ich Dich auch jetzt schon lieb haben sollte - so wirst Du nie dieses
      Eingeständnis im Brief finden. Ich muss erst zurückkehren, wir muessen miteinander einleben,
      unsere Liebe muss gross, beständig - ohne Lug und Trug, ohne materiellen Hintergrund sein. Dein Teddi
      Dear Elzinni!
      Your letter from 09/20 has brought me unexpected joy. It is beautifully decorated. who has painted it? You can see a lot of work and effort in it. Could it be that you were the artist? I do not think so? I have some idea about painting, it's my favorite activity. I will work in this direction later. I paint a lot. What does the zas do? He's got a lot to do - if his nerves don't fail and he doesn't follow in Garoch's footsteps, so everything will be fine. I am healthy - dream of quiet, quiet family life.
      I do not ask for tangle of people, for many people and so on. Acquaintances who bring no luck to us. I know people too well - I miss their openness and everyone
      Idealism. When I think back to school when I was still naive - how nice.
      At that time the world and everything that surrounded me appeared to me. How ideal and romantic. I considered my first school love. How naive it was - and yet how wonderful. I saw nothing about me - I loved - and that was all for me. Now - unfortunately the heart is now being controlled by Mind - the result of difficult years. I'm not looking for current happiness, I'm looking for constant strong happiness. If I should love you now - you will never become this Find admission in the letter. I have to go back, we have to settle in together, our love has to be big, constant - without lies and deceit, without material background. Your Teddi.

This is typical of the type of "supervised" letters sent from prisoners in the camps.

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
        Liebe Elzinni!

Gran Sasso,

Thank you SO MUCH for your time!! I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help!!

All the best,
        Ran

Comment

Originally posted by R. X. View Post
          Please DO NOT post the English translation here, as I'd love to do that myself.
          Ran

Originally posted by max history View Post
          Dear Elzinni!
          Your letter from 09/20 has brought me unexpected joy. It is beautifully decorated. who has painted it? You can see a lot of work and effort in it. Could it be that you were the artist? I do not think so? I have some idea about painting, it's my favorite activity. I will work in this direction later. I paint a lot. What does the zas do? He's got a lot to do - if his nerves don't fail and he doesn't follow in Garoch's footsteps, so everything will be fine. I am healthy - dream of quiet, quiet family life.
          I do not ask for tangle of people, for many people and so on. Acquaintances who bring no luck to us. I know people too well - I miss their openness and everyone
          Idealism. When I think back to school when I was still naive - how nice.
          At that time the world and everything that surrounded me appeared to me. How ideal and romantic. I considered my first school love. How naive it was - and yet how wonderful. I saw nothing about me - I loved - and that was all for me. Now - unfortunately the heart is now being controlled by Mind - the result of difficult years. I'm not looking for current happiness, I'm looking for constant strong happiness. If I should love you now - you will never become this Find admission in the letter. I have to go back, we have to settle in together, our love has to be big, constant - without lies and deceit, without material background. Your Teddi.

This is typical of the type of "supervised" letters sent from prisoners in the camps.

Comment

I missed that. Now ridiculed for making a genuine mistake and trying to help someone.

Comment

Originally posted by max history View Post
              I missed that. Now ridiculed for making a genuine mistake and trying to help someone.
              I'm ok with it if that makes you feel better. I appreciate the effort you made for the OP.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X