Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IAB Lw-Festg-Batl. XI, Hürtgenwald

Hi guys,

I picked this nice IAB document (not an EK2 for once) up from another collector. It was awarded to an NCO of Luftwaffen-Festungs-Bataillon XI on November 17 1944. It is the first one in my collection of an "independent" Bataillon which fought in the West and is, in my opinion, a rather rare and interesting unit.

Due to the heavy losses in late 1944 the Oberkommando der Wehrmacht (OKW) had ordered the Oberkommando der Luftwaffe (OKL) to raise Bataillons for the fightings in the West in early September 1944 (since the Luftwaffe was hardly able to act in the air anyway). As a result the OKL formed more than 30 Luftwaffen-Festungs-Bataillone which mostly consisted of student pilots, intelligence and technical staff, student NCOs, Landesschützen etc., so men without any or very little infantry experience. Also, the training time was so short that lots of men were thrown into battle with only having seen a few days of training. If time and situation permitted, training was continued either during the transport to the frontline or at the actual frontline.
    By September 20, 20 Luftwaffen-Festungs-Bataillone had reached the frontline in the West.

Now, Luftwaffen-Festungs-Bataillon XI was formed September 7 1944 in Nordhausen from different Lw-Nachrichtenschulen and had 4 Kompanien with 160-170 men each, one PAK-Zug (anti-tank) and one sMG-Zug (heavy machine gun). It was transported to Prüm (Eifel) on Sept. 14 and subordinated to (not absorbed by!) 2. SS-Panzer-Division. By Octobre 23 3. Kompanie, Unteroffizier Sohns Kompanie, had suffered 35% casualties and was reinforced before the entire Bataillon was subordinated to 49. Infanterie-Division (2. SS Panzer had left for Paderborn) which was fighting in the area just north of Aachen. Shorty after, by the end of Octobre, the remnants of 49. ID were absorbed by 246. VGD, while Luftwaffen-Festungs-Bataillon XI was transfered to the Hürtgenwald to be absorbed by 89. Infanterie-Division on Octobre 28 (see attachment, image taken from S. Carlsen "Deutsche Luftwaffenfestungsbataillone 1944" as most of the information).

The Bataillon saw heavy action near Simonskall in the first two weeks of Novembre and again suffered heavily against the attacking Americans, especially on Nov 9 and 11. On Nov 9, Oberleutnant Plückelmann, Sohns Kompaniechef, was wounded in Simonskall.

Of course I cannot prove it, but I´d say it is highly likely that Unteroffizier Sohn earned at least a few of his "IAB days" in the Simonskall area. His document is signed by Bataillonskommandeur Hauptmann Georg Klinger.

To me a nice document with an interesting historical background that makes it a perfect match for my collection!

Best,

Matthias
    Attached Files

Thanks for posting Matthias, it's the detailed research behind such documents that makes them come alive and gives them meaning. Whilst we in Norway didn't receive any of these units, we did get get LW feld Rgt. 501 and 502 with the better known 503 being sent to the Litsa front and 20 Geb.Armee. Just try and find anything to 501 or 502 though!
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Hi Matthias,

the LwFestBtl.XI wasn´t absorbed by the 49.ID or 246.ID or the 89.ID. The 344.ID
      taked them over.

"By Octobre 23 3. Kompanie, Unteroffizier Sohns Kompanie, had suffered 35% casualties and was reinforced before the entire Bataillon was subordinated to 49. Infanterie-Division (2. SS Panzer had left for Paderborn) which was fighting in the area just north of Aachen. Shorty after, by the end of Octobre, the remnants of 49. ID were absorbed by 246. VGD, while Luftwaffen-Festungs-Bataillon XI was transfered to the Hürtgenwald to be absorbed by 89. Infanterie-Division on Octobre 28 (see attachment, image taken from S. Carlsen "Deutsche Luftwaffenfestungsbataillone 1944" as most of the information). "

Please check th attachment.This order knocked aut the other order.

Regards
      Boris
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Steinberg100 View Post
        Hi Matthias,

the LwFestBtl.XI wasn´t absorbed by the 49.ID or 246.ID or the 89.ID. The 344.ID
        taked them over.

"By Octobre 23 3. Kompanie, Unteroffizier Sohns Kompanie, had suffered 35% casualties and was reinforced before the entire Bataillon was subordinated to 49. Infanterie-Division (2. SS Panzer had left for Paderborn) which was fighting in the area just north of Aachen. Shorty after, by the end of Octobre, the remnants of 49. ID were absorbed by 246. VGD, while Luftwaffen-Festungs-Bataillon XI was transfered to the Hürtgenwald to be absorbed by 89. Infanterie-Division on Octobre 28 (see attachment, image taken from S. Carlsen "Deutsche Luftwaffenfestungsbataillone 1944" as most of the information). "

Please check th attachment.This order knocked aut the other order.

Regards
        Boris

Hi Boris,

thanks for correcting. I was too quick drawing a conclusion and didn´t read the sources given by Svensen to the end. You are absolutely right, Lw-Festungsbataillon XI was absorbed by 344. ID! And, just to be clear: I never stated it was absorbed by 49. ID or 246. VGD.

But although taken over by 344. ID, the Bataillon still fought in the Simonskall/Hürtgenwald area in November 1944, as Carlsen writes. That is important to make it interesting for me.

Thanks again!

Best,

Matthias

Comment

Hi Matthias,

no problem.

The signature of the IAB - document is from Hauptmann Georg Klinger.

Later he was leader of a Bataillon Gren.Rgt.832,than Feld Ersatz Bataillon 344 and the last leadership was I./Infantrie-Ersatz und Ausbildungsregiment 500 Bewährungsbataillon. All in 1945 under the 344.Infantrie-Division.

Best regards
          Boris

Comment

Hello Matthias !

Great document and also excellent explanation on the origin and the details of these very special type of units.
            And I agree with everything Simon mentioned !
            Indeed a perfect addition to your collection.

The many different orders for its incorporation only underline, how often these battalions were shifted around
            to close some gaps in the front line.

You can be sure that LwFest.-Btl. XI was in that area :
            If you look on Carlsens book on p. 82, there are excerpts of the KTB of LFB XXIV, which was in the Simonskall area.
            There it says that XXIV was relieved on 1.11.44 by LFB XI.

@Boris :
            Thanks for the additional info and confirmation where this Btl. ended up.
            I read your very nice book on the 91. Luftlande-Division.
            But in my oppinion it ends to early !
            Will there be a second part, that details the rebuild of 344. ID ?!
            (As we see, you have collected a lot of info on that as well !)

Best regards,

Archi

Comment

Hi Archi,

thanx for the compliments.

The story never ends

But its difficult to get informations about the 344.ID (new) after 5.11.1944 in the west and after the transport to the east in the first days of 1945.

Actually the part II of the story about 91. Luftlande-Division = 344.Infantrie-Division is in work. I´ll promise you in a few years the second book will be published.

But first we work on the second revised version of 91. LLD. Alot of new informations are the reasons why.

Regards
              Boris

Comment

Thanks for posting this thread and supporting info, I have a Wehrpaß to a former glider pilot who was with a Festungs Bataillon and also killed at Hürtgenwald.

Thought I had scans of it on my laptop but unfortunately not, need to find it now.

Ian
                Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jewison View Post
                  Thanks for posting this thread and supporting info, I have a Wehrpaß to a former glider pilot who was with a Festungs Bataillon and also killed at Hürtgenwald.

Thought I had scans of it on my laptop but unfortunately not, need to find it now.

Ian
                  Ian, I would love to see that Wehrpass, please feel free to post it here!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X