Rudolf Geisler RKT Pionier Battalion 662

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rudolf Geisler RKT Pionier Battalion 662

Here’s the info I have so far, Any more help would be greatly appreciated. Looking for what he did specifically to be awarded his RK. Or more pictures of him.

Date of birth:
    March 29th, 1911 (Hennersdorf/Silesia, Germany)
    Date of death:
    April 13th, 1944 (Hauptverbandplatz Kowel, Kovel/Ukraine, Soviet Union)

Awards
    EKII- 30 September 1939
    GAB- 1940~41? (Help here?)
    EKI- 13 August 1941
    DKIG- 3 June 1943
    RK- 7 December 1943
    RK+OL- 13 April 1944

Oak leaf recipient #455

Service Record
    Rudolf Geisler joined the Wehrmacht on 1 April 1930 as an officer candidate (Fahnenjunker) in Pioneer Battalion 8, where he was promoted to Leutnant (2nd Lieutenant) on 1 August 1933. He was transferred to Pioneer Battalion 1, where he was promoted to Oberleautnant (1stLieutenant) on 1 October 1935. He then attended the Hanover War School (Kriegsschulen). In May 1938, he returned to active service with his first assignment being the company commander of 3/Pionier-Battalion 8.

After the Polish campaign he was promoted to Hauptmann (Captain) and took part in the western campaigns of 1940. On 1 August 1941 he became commander of the Pionier-Battalion 662 where he was promoted to Major on 1 September 1942.

On June 3, 1943, he was awarded the German Cross in Gold, on December 7, 1943, he received the Knight's Cross. He and his battalion held off several heavy Russian attacks in November 1943 northwest of Kovel. In February 1944 his battalion took part in the defense of Kovel, where it again proved itself, holding off the fierce Russian onslaught. Rudolf Geisler was severely wounded in defense of Kovel on 11 April 1944 by a grenade during a Russian counter attack. He succumbed to his injury, a shrapnel wound in the pelvis, at a field hospital at Kovel on 13 April 1944, the same day Major Geisler would be awarded the Oak leafs to his Knights Cross.

Pionier Battalion 662
    FPN 08655

The battalion was stationed in Neisse on 1 June 1940. On 25 August 1939 Grenzwachtabschnitt 58 Raciborz set up Pioneer Battalion I./VIII. First, the battalion was deployed in the west. From the summer of 1941, the battalion took part in the Russian campaign. In 1942, the battalion under the 18th Army, at times the 11th Army, was used near Leningrad in the Army Group North. In 1944/45 it was used by the 3rd Panzer Army in East Prussia.

The replacement company for Pioneer Battalion 662 was Pionier Ersatz Battalion 213 in Brieg, Military District VIII.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btt

Comment

Hi,

may I ask if you own the photo album you posted an example from?

Christian

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisBa View Post
        Hi,

may I ask if you own the photo album you posted an example from?

Christian

I do not. On a fluke I found it on eBay as an album from Pionier Battalion 662 and it just so happens to have photos of Geisler. Unfortunately the album was in the sold section, and it sold like a week before found it

Comment

I sent you a PM.

Comment

Updated info
            Was able too look at the book that has all the Oakleafs recipients. Here’s Geisler’s entry

Comment

New info!

He has a brother who ALSO got the Knights Cross!
              Anyone have any info on Kurt Geisler?

“His older brother Lieutenant Colonel Rudolf Geisler succumbed as commander of Pioneer Battalion 662 on 13.4.1944 in Kowel to the wounded suffered in Russia. On the same day, he was given the oak leaves.”
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X