Searching for Info on a Kav. Captain Günther Ranzinger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching for Info on a Kav. Captain Günther Ranzinger

I recently acquired a 1938 dated cavalry or reconnaisance yellow piped geschönte Feldbluse named to a Günther Ranzinger (according to my reading). The rank is Captain.

I have not been successful in finding any information on Günther Ranzinger in sources I can access like war grave registries and general online searches.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by paulj; 06-02-2019, 05:08 PM.

Hauptmann Günther RANZINGER - dob: July 12, 1917

Leutnant - September 01, 1938 - Schützen-Reg. 4
    Hauptmann - October 01, 1943

Last edited by naxos; 06-02-2019, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by naxos View Post
      Hauptmann Günther RANZINGER - dob: July 12, 1917

Leutnant - September 01, 1938 - Schützen-Reg. 4
      Hauptmann - October 01, 1943

Thanks! I appreciate your help.

The unit was previously Kavallerie Schützen Regiment 4 which explains the gold-yellow Waffenfarbe.

Comment

Hello !

In addition to the good info by naxos :
        In early 1939, he was with the 15. Schwadron of that regiment :
        http://gliederungundstellenbesetzung...avschrgt4.html

As the IV. Abt. became Kradschützen-Btl. 6 in April, 1939 (1. leichte Division resp. 6. PzDiv.),
        it is possible, that he served in that unit early in the war.
        In mid 1942, he must have been transferred to Pz.Rgt. 11, as I found a photo of him within
        a group of photos of that Pz-Rgt., taken during the reorganization in France.
        Later, he is mentioned as Chef of 8. Kp. of that unit in December 1942.
        (Both infos from the pictorial history of 6. Pz.Div. written by Horst Scheibert.)

Best regards,

Archi
        Attached Files

Comment

Danke vielmals, Archi!

Spectacular Research! Is he wearing a Reiterabzeichen or a Verwundetenabzeichen?

However, i don't think it's the same Ranzinger in Panzer Regiment 11. In this source, that Ranzinger was killed in December 1942 as an Oberleutnant. https://books.google.com/books?id=49...zinger&f=false

Here's are photos of His geschönte Feldbluse.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by paulj; 06-05-2019, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Hello paulj !

Thanks for the kind words and for showing the pictures of this very nice Feldbluse !

Regarding your questions :
            a) I can't help on the badge (resolution of the photo is very poor)
            b) I do not know, whether the man on the photo is the same man that naxos found the info on.
            (At least, in 1942, he would be in the same division and there are not that many Ranzinger).

I can only remark that Franz Kurowski is not necessarily famous for his historical correctness.
            On the other hand, I also cannot proof that the info in the link is wrong.
            Perhaps someone knows ...

Best regards,

Archi

Comment

Hi Archi,

Thanks again for your information. I did a Kriegsgräbersuche and found no listing for Günther Ranzinger. So, as you suggest, perhaps Kurowski's account is incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by paulj View Post
                Hi Archi,

Thanks again for your information. I did a Kriegsgräbersuche and found no listing for Günther Ranzinger. So, as you suggest, perhaps Kurowski's account is incorrect.
                I believe the Oberleutnant in Pz-Rgt.11 was Rudolf Ranzinger born on Dec. 01, 1920 and reported missing south of Stalingrad on Jan. 01, 1943

Comment

Hello paulj and naxos !

If the statement from Kurowski that Oblt. Ranzinger was KIA is correct, it could not have been Günther, who was promoted to Hptm. in Oct. 1943.
                  Then it could indeed be another soldier, perhaps the one mentioned by naxos.

However, I would also consider the possibility that it is a misinterpretation by Kurowski.

I found an excerpt, taken from the KTB of Pz.Rgt. 11 from 28.12.42, where all this is probably based on [from : Scheibert, Panzer zwischen Don und Donez] :
                  It speaks of "losses" during that attack of Oblt. Ranzinger, Oblt. Sander and Lt. Beuth.
                  Losses could refer to either beeing KIA or beeing severely wounded.
                  Oblt. Sander shows up again in a Stellenbesetzung of Pz.Rgt. 11, dated 1.1.45.
                  Therefore, I would at least consider the possibility that also Oblt. Ranzinger was perhaps only WIA.

Best regards,

Archi
                  Attached Files

Comment

I concur

Originally posted by Archi View Post
                    Hello paulj and naxos !

... probably based on [from : Scheibert, Panzer zwischen Don und Donez] :
                    It speaks of "losses" during that attack of Oblt. Ranzinger, Oblt. Sander and Lt. Beuth.
                    Losses could refer to either beeing KIA or beeing severely wounded.
                    Oblt. Sander shows up again in a Stellenbesetzung of Pz.Rgt. 11, dated 1.1.45.
                    Therefore, I would at least consider the possibility that also Oblt. Ranzinger was perhaps only WIA.

Best regards,

Archi

Comment

I've just gone through microfilms for Panzer and Kavallerie officers and only find one Ranzinger. Now his card could be missing, or simply he was dead at the end of the war, hence why he has no card.

/Ian
                      Attached Files
                      Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

"Gliederung und Stellenbesetzung der Wehrmach"

Kavallerieschützenregiment 4 (Kav.Sch.Rgt.4) - Offizierstellenbesetzung 03.01.1939

15. Schwadron (Kradschützen)
                        Chef Oberleutnant Bode
                        Zugführer Leutnant Ranzinger

/Ian

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

This book makes reference to an Oberleutnant Ranzinger with 3. Panzer-Sicherungs-Kompanie in Italy 1943-44, Hungary-Slovakia-Moravia 1944-45

https://milistoria.it/product-catalo...lung-2-203c029

Immediatamente dopo l ordine di creazione la 3. Panzer-Sicherungs-Kompanie venne trasferita all Heereszeugamt di Altengrabow / Königsborn presso Magdeburg, dove venne riequipaggiata con nuove uniformi, materiali e veicoli. 24 La sua dotazione consisteva in 15 Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf. N (armati con un 7,5 cm KwK. L/24) organizzati secondo la struttura seguente: Kp.Trupp: 1. Zug: 4 carri armati 2. Zug: 4 carri armati 3. Zug: 4 carri armati. 3 carri armati (di cui uno di riserva) La compagnia contava inoltre una colonna salmerie (Tross) e un I-Gruppe (comandato dall Oberschirrmeister Benno Leiverkus). In quel momento il suo comandante (Oberleutnant Ranzinger) non si era ancora completamente ristabilito da una ferita e venne quindi sostituito da un altro ufficiale, l Oberleutnant Karl-Friedrich Bohn, all epoca in forza al Pz.Ers.u.Ausb.Abt Comandavano il 1. Zug il Leutnant Ernst-Günther Schneider, il 2. Zug il Leutnant Hermann Meyer e il 3. Zug il Leutnant Friedrich Scharnhusen. Il 13 settembre la 3. Panzer-Sicherungs-Kompanie lasciò Königsborn in treno diretta verso l Italia e la sera del 16 settembre arrivò a Trieste, dove venne posta alle dipendenze della 71. Infanterie-Division.

Immediately after the creation order, the 3rd Panzer-Sicherungs-Kompanie was transferred to the Heereszeugamt of Altengrabow / Königsborn near Magdeburg, where it was re-equipped with new uniforms, materials and vehicles. 24 Its budget consisted of 15 Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf. N (armed with a 7.5 cm KwK. L / 24) organized according to the following structure: Kp.Trupp: 1. Zug: 4 tanks 2. Zug: 4 tanks 3. Zug: 4 tanks. 3 tanks (one of which is a reserve). The company also had a column for goods (Tross) and an I-Gruppe (commanded by the Oberschirrmeister Benno Leiverkus). At that moment his commander (Oberleutnant Ranzinger) had not yet completely recovered from a wound and was then replaced by another officer, the Oberleutnant Karl-Friedrich Bohn, at the time under the power of Pz.Ers.u.Ausb.Abt Commando the 1. Zug the Leutnant Ernst-Günther Schneider, the 2. Zug the Leutnant Hermann Meyer and the 3. Zug the Leutnant Friedrich Scharnhusen. On September 13th the 3rd Panzer-Sicherungs-Kompanie left Königsborn by train to Italy and on the evening of September 16th arrived in Trieste, where it was placed in the employ of 71. Infanterie-Division.

/Ian
                          Last edited by Ian Jewison; 06-25-2019, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X