Ratisbons

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long did it take to be promoted to Oberleutnant from Leutnant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long did it take to be promoted to Oberleutnant from Leutnant?

Hi everyone, I have been doing some research on how long officer promotions took in the Wehrmacht, specifically at the company grade. There are some good sources online for the process and time it would take an NCO to be commissioned as a Leutnant, but there is not much past that. Specifically I am interested in how long on average it would take for a Leutnant to be promoted to an Oberleutnant. After looking at personal records for dates of promotions for pre and early war it seems it would take around 2 years but after around 1940 I am having trouble finding stuff for mid and late war promotions. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys, Will

Obviously there's no hard and fast rule and was dependent on various factors including ability, decorations etc.

I have copies of quite a few promotion recommendations from 45 and length of service is often given as a qualifying reason. 18 months to 2 years is perhaps more a minimum rather than an average.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Actually it was two years and 5 month in a regular carear. But during the war there were plenty of exceptions. Sometimes, officers were promoted for courage actions and even overjumping one rank was possible.

Comment

Thank you both for those reply’s! Helps a great deal

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X