Pz.Gren.Rgt. 125

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pz.Gren.Rgt. 125

Need help I.,II.,III.,Btl.commanding officer name 1943 Jan.- April,thanks.

According to Lexikon der Wehrmacht the Regiment wasn't formed until June 1943. Do you mean Infanterie Regiment 125 of 164 leichten Afrika Division ? Not that I can help you with the names for that.

Comment

Sorry can not help you with the battalion commanders. But J.R.125 became Pz.Gren.125. They are the same regiment

This white piped EM shoulder strap came from a New Zealand soldier who also got this Wehrpass at the same time. This unit of Pz.Gren.125 were over run during the Second Battle of El Alamein October – November 1942. They were on their way up to the front when the New Zealand vanguard which had broken through took them prisoner. Looks like they never even got into the battle. As you can see from the unit page in the Wehrpass, they were infantry up until 31/ August 1942 when they were reclassified as Panzer Grenadier and rushed to Afrika from Kreta as reinforcements.

Looks like some if not many were still wearing the white piping of J.R.125 when they arrived.

The other shoulder board from an officer in M.G.8 which is holding the Wehrpass page open was picked up in November 1941.

Chris
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
        Sorry can not help you with the battalion commanders. But J.R.125 became Pz.Gren.125. They are the same regiment

This white piped EM shoulder strap came from a New Zealand soldier who also got this Wehrpass at the same time. This unit of Pz.Gren.125 were over run during the Second Battle of El Alamein October – November 1942. They were on their way up to the front when the New Zealand vanguard which had broken through took them prisoner. Looks like they never even got into the battle. As you can see from the unit page in the Wehrpass, they were infantry up until 31/ August 1942 when they were reclassified as Panzer Grenadier and rushed to Afrika from Kreta as reinforcements.

Looks like some if not many were still wearing the white piping of J.R.125 when they arrived.

The other shoulder board from an officer in M.G.8 which is holding the Wehrpass page open was picked up in November 1941.

Chris
        Nice info!
        Do you happen to know anything about one of the other Regiments of 164.Le.Afr.Div. during the second battle for El Alamein? I'm looking for info on Panzergrenadier-Regiment 433 during late October 1942.
        I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
        Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
        My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

Originally posted by ipot View Post
          Need help I.,II.,III.,Btl.commanding officer name 1943 Jan.- April,thanks.
          I only know a few officer names for Regiment 125, including 3 Btl. commanders:

Oberzahlmeister d.R. Friedrich Scheu (III. Bataillon), became sick on 13 Okt.1942.
          Oberleutnant d.R. Helmut Kötzer (Kompanieführer, 3.Kp), became sick on 16 Okt.1942.
          Oberarzt d.R. Dr. Ernst Krombach (Regiments Arzt), became sick on 20 Okt.1942.
          Oberzahlmeister Bartel Thois (II. Bataillon), became sick on 24 Oktober 1942.
          Oberstleutnant Klaus Freiherr von Hardenberg (Regiments Kdr.)
          Oberleutnant Christian Dörholt (Kompaniechef, 2.Kp), became sick on 20 Nov. 1942.
          Leutnant d.R. Ernst Staffel (Zugführer, 5.Kp), became sick on 20 Nov. 1942.
          Hauptmann Julius Pieper (Regiments Adjudant), became missing while commanding I.Btl./Pz.Gr.Rgt.382 on 24 Okt.1942.
          Major Herbert Möbel (I. Bataillon Kdr.), became missing on 25 Okt.1942.
          Hauptmann Philipp Wendel (II. Bataillon Kdr.), became missing on 25 Okt.1942.

Leutnant d.R. Siegfried Zwiessler (Zugführer in 6.Kp), became missing on 25 Okt. 1942.
          Leutnant d.R. Albert Holzmann (Kompanieführer, 5.Kp), became missing on 26 Okt. 1942.
          Leutnant d.R. Walter Spath (Zugführer in 13.Kp), was K.I.A. on 26 Okt. 1942.
          Oberleutnant Erich Schulz (Kompanie Chef, 12.Kp).
          Hauptmann Borehardt (II. Bataillonführer), became missing on 29 Okt. 1942.
          Oberleutnant Theo Wanner (Kompanieführer, 2.Kp), became wounded on 30 Okt. 1942.
          Oberleutnant d.R. Karl Dreher (Kompanieführer, 8.Kp), became missing on 30 Okt. 1942.
          Leutnant Josef Meffert (Kompanieführer, 3.Kp), became wounded on 30 Okt. 1942.
          Oberleutnant Hans Ehrhardt (Kompanie chef, 7.Kp), became missing on 31 Okt. 1942.
          Oberleutnant d.R. Wolfgang Maisch (Kompanie Chef, Stab.Kp), became missing on 31 Okt. 1942.
          Oberleutnant d.R. Willi Helamann (Zugführer Pio.Zug), became missing on 31 Okt. 1942.
          Oberleutnant Willi Weiss??e? (Ord.Offz.), became wounded on 31 Okt. 1942.
          Oberarzt Gerhard Herth (I. Bataillon Arzt), became missing on 31 Okt. 1942.
          Oberarzt Dr. Ernst Eick (II. Bataillon Arzt), became missing on 31 Okt. 1942.
          Ass.Arzt d.R. Hans-Joachim Scherzer (Hilfsarzt in III.Btl.), became missing on 31 Okt. 1942.
          Leutnant d.R. Kurt Bander (Zugführer in 13.Kp), became wounded on 31 Okt. 1942.
          Leutnant d.R. Ludszuweit (Zugführer in 8.Kp), became missing on 31 Okt. 1942.
          Leutnant d.R. Barsuhn (Zugführer in 11.Kp), became missing on 31 Okt. 1942.
          Oberleutnant Willi Greiner (Kompanieführer, 14.Kp), became wounded on 2 Nov. 1942.
          Oberleutnant Werner Gembruch (Kompanie Chef, 10.Kp), became missing on 4 Nov.
          Oberleutnant Ernst Fuchs (Kompanieführer, 9.Kp), K.I.A. on 5 Nov. 1942.
          Hauptmann d.R.z.V. Ludwig Schmidt (Kolonneführer, Le.I.Kol.), became missing on 6 Nov. 1942.
          Leutnant d.R. Sund (Zugführer in 4.Kp), became missing on 6 Nov. 1942.
          Obermusikmeister Albert Abel (Mus.K.Fhr.), became missing on 6 Nov. 1942.
          Zahlmeister d.R. Hugo Maute (I. Bataillon), became missing on 6 Nov. 1942.
          Oberleutnant d.R. Herbert Behr (Kompanieführer, 4.Kp), became wounded on 9 Nov. 1942.

EDIT: I marked the Bataillon commanders.
          Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.

Comment

Kämpfe der 164. le. Afrika Division

Hello to all ; a little story...........................

The 164 Le. ID in El Alamein - Oct and Nov of 1942.

The British offensive.

October 23 to 24, 1942

At 20:40 hours a powerful artillery preparation fire was unleashed on the entire front. When the fire ceased there was the enemy attack with infantry and tanks between Bir Quusur el Atash and Bir Abu Sifai. Immediately his own artillery unleashed short-cut fire. Due to the preparation fire of the enemy, the telephone links were lost and the radio links failed. The communications were not reliable and the advanced positions were overwhelmed.

At 22:00 hours the II./ RI 62 (It) left their positions. Shortly thereafter the same thing happened with the mass of the III./ RI 62 (It) and of the I. / RI 62 (It). The attack of the enemy infantry (without tanks) was stopped in front of the positions of the Pz GR 125, however the enemy tanks pressed against the central sector of the defensive deployment of the Pz GR 382, ​​overcoming the II./ GR 382 and the I. / GR 382.

The hostile armored, worn out by the fights against the II./ GR 382 advanced on the sector of the I. / AR 220 and of the II./ GR 433 but they were stopped at dawn by the intense defensive fire; in front of the II./ GR 433 an anti-tank position was established with two 88 mm guns that destroyed a concentration of hostile armor.

October 24, 1942.

On October 24, 1942 at 07:00 hours, part of the 15. Pz counterattacked the two penetrations achieved by the British. Until noon the counterattack gained very little ground. Towards the afternoon the news of the withdrawal of the hostile armor was received.

(The I. / PR 8 under Hauptmann Stiefelmeyer counterattacked the New Zealanders and the 9ª Armored Brigade in front of the minefield L by destroying 27 enemy tanks, another 35 had blown inside the minefields).

The III./ GR 433 kept in reserve until that moment was advanced to occupy the old positions of the II./ RI 62 (Italian). The gap between the II. and the III./ GR 382 was monitored throughout the day, but could not be closed.

Between the north wing of the 15. Pz and the west wing of the Pz GR 125 a breach was maintained in which the opponent occupied the former positions of the I. / RI 62 (Italian). Two companies of the Pz GR 125 counterattacked there to reestablish the link with the troops of the 15. Pz. On the evening of October 24, 1942, the attack did not achieve any success.

Dawn, 24th October.......................

http://tothosewhoserved.org/aus/army...img/img668.jpg

Source: Gefechts-Berich der 164. Leichte Afrika Division vom 23.10 - 20.11.1942.

Cheers. Raúl M .

Comment

Raúl,
              Do you got anything about 1./Panzergrenadier-Regiment 433 on 26 Oktober?

Comment

1./Panzergrenadier-Regiment 433.

Looking. Cheers. Raúl M .

Comment

Pz.Gren.Rgt.125

Im Felde -Kreta ?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Kämpfe der 164. le. Afrika Division.

Hello to all ; more..........................

The British offensive.

October 25, 1942.

On October 25, 1942 the enemy carried out a strong armored attack against the positions of the worn out II./ GR 382; After a hard fight and after suffering serious losses and losing their last anti-tank gun, the remains of the battalion were destroyed and the enemy attack continued towards the positions of III./ RI 61 (Ital.) who fled almost without fighting. After gathering new forces the enemy advanced on the II./ GR 433.

The counterattack launched in the west wing of the Pz GR 125 during the previous afternoon gained ground with strong artillery support and through Point 28, at 16:20 hours it achieved the first objective: the AP 410. The positions gained were reinforced by the third company that marched behind.

But this success did not last long, at 21:45 hours the enemy attacked with tanks after a strong artillery concentration, destroying a company and forcing the rest of the troops to retreat.

The adversary entrenched himself in the gap between the Pz GR 125 and the 15 Pz; a counterattack carried out the following day to expel him was not successful.

October 26, 1942.

During the night of October 25-26, 1942, the sector of the II./ GR 382 was again full occupied by the remnants of that battalion and two companies of the Pz GR 433.

In the afternoon of October 26, 1942, the enemy's attempt on the open left flank of the III./ GR 382 fighting there and at 17:00 hours a heavy armored attack struck at the height of AP 453 and one company was overran (11./ GR 382).

Source: Gefechts-Berich der 164. Leichte Afrika Division vom 23.10 - 20.11.1942.

NTR about the 1./ Pz Gr 433. Cheers. Raúl M .

Comment

The British offensive.

October 27, 1942.

On this day the enemy began the exploitation of the breakthrough obtained on the II./ GR 382. From AP 453, through strong infantry and armored personnel, the front was overrun in the southwards direction. With strong artillery support the positions were conquered to the north and east of the III./ GR 382, reaching parts of the II./ Pz GR 115 located to the west and to the rear of the flank of III./ Pz GR 433.

This battalion managed to destroy 24 hostile tanks and through an important artillery support managed to repel the enemy towards the north and northeast.

In the afternoon an attack was carried out, with artillery support, towards Height 28, where the enemy had reinforced. At 16:00 hours the attackers fell under defensive fire.

October 28, 1942.

Due to the uncertain situation in the sector of the III./ 61 RI (Italian), the division detached a patrol. A Platoon of the II./ GR 433 advanced protected by fog towards the depth between the II./ GR 382 and the II./ GR 433. The position reached was improved on the following nights.

An attack of the 90 Le. ID (Mot) reinforced and supported by Stukas towards Height 28 did not achieve the expected success.

The enemy, with strong troops, intense artillery support and massive use of tanks, launched the attack at night against the positions of the II. / Pz GR 125. Although the command of the battalion and the 7. Company maintained their positions until the following night they received the order to go back to the I. / Pz GR 125 with the arrival of darkness.

Cheers. Raúl M .

Comment

The British offensive.

October 29, 1942.

After this attack the situation in the sector remained unchanged till the end of the fight in the El Alamein stellung. In the south and middle sector, up to AP 453, the fight was reduced to small infantery actions. Due north the enemy massed its force and the penetration could not be sealed, however, on its northern flank it has been stopped in the vicinity of Point 28.

On this very day, the northern sector became the responsibility of the 90 Le. ID (Mot) and the Pz GR 125 was subordinated to the mentioned division.

During the next three days there was not essentials changes in the situation around the division's sector.

October 31, 1942.

The division has managed to secure a limit with the 15. Pz in the Tell el Aqqaqir sector.

Dawn, 29th October.

http://tothosewhoserved.org/aus/army...img/img704.jpg

30th–31st October.

http://tothosewhoserved.org/aus/army...img/img712.jpg

Cheers. Raúl M .

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post

Chris
                          Sorry, you should have said Pz Gren Regt (mot) 125. I was talking about Pz Gren Regt (gp) 125 of course and that had nothing to do with your regiment.

Comment

Just got this set which I am very pleased with.

Comment

Pz.Gren.Rgt.125

Nice discussion,thanks,Ipot.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X