57th ID Abbeville 1940

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

57th ID Abbeville 1940

I just purchased a Wehrpass to a soldier KIA 5 June 1940. Doing some research I cannot find out exactly they were on the 5th. Some info say crossing the River Somme at the Bridgehead but he is listed as KIA at Villers-sur-Mareuil.

Any help would be appreciated. I have already been on lexikon

57. ID Abbeville 1940

Hello Trevor ; more or less..............................

Bridgehead of Abbeville May 31 - Jun 05, 1940.

After heavy fights, on May 31 the units on both sides were relieved. At noon, the French 4 DCr left the ground to the 51st (Highland) Division. Meanwhile in the other side of the hill, the IR 199 took position in the bridgehead relieving the IR 179 and IR 217 (all of them of the 57. ID). Then there was a quiet period in the area. The Germanshe trying to make their redoubts impregnable and preparing their great offensive while the Allied High Command was trying to organize the Weygand Line.

But the French decided to remove the bridgehead so prepared a new offensive on Jun 04, in the morning. To this effect the French 2 DCr was brought to the line....

Hence your soldier either was severely WIA in this attack and perished later or was KIA during the German offensive next day (Jun 05, 1940)......................

The bridgehead of Abbeville as May 29, 1940...................................

Source: La Bataille d'Abbeville. Armes Militaria Hors Serie Nº 21.

Cheers. Raúl M .

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X