Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flakscheinwerfer-Abteilung 129

Hello,
    Not 100% sure if this is the right subforum to post this, please move in case I missed my mark and apologies in advance.

I am currently researching the service history of my late grandfather and WASt sadly has not much due to the wholescale destruction of archives at the end of the war.

He gave me a Erkennungsmarke that reads (Sorry cannot attach pictures yet)

2./Flakscheinw. Abt.129

It also has a misterious capital "W" stamped on it like you would see on a Bloodgroup.

http://www.ww2.dk/ground/flak/abt/sw129.html

It seems the unit was raised in Berlin but was stationed in Darmstadt for most of the war
    Gives for the second batterie a Feldpostnummer: 01446

(Mobilmachung (26.8.1939)-1.1.1940) 2. Batterie Reserve-Flakscheinwerfer-Abteilung 129 formed,
    (12.7.1941-26.1.1942) designation changed to 2. Batterie Flakscheinwerfer-Abteilung 129,
    On 3.8.1943 designation changed to 2. Batterie Flakscheinwerfer-Abteilung 129 (o).

What could the "W" stand for?

Given the above tag number. Would the creation of said tag have been done after the unit changed names from Reserve but before that (o) was added after August 1943?

Would anyone have a information of the whereabouts of this unit after 1/12/44?

Perhaps "W" stand for "weiblich" because a lot of Flakscheinwerfer Batterien were manned by

girls ?

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
      Perhaps "W" stand for "weiblich" because a lot of Flakscheinwerfer Batterien were manned by

girls ?

Gerdan
      Ouch! That would mean we would have uncovered some potentially scandalous past of my grandfather with a possible keepsake of his for some secret adventure. My grandmother was an early war love of his and worked at a parachute factory at Frankfurt when they first met. No words of her having done any service with searchlights

Comment

Acording to this site:

https://docplayer.org/20750967-Vksvg...rkommen-a.html

"W" would mean Wehrmacht or Werfer. In what sense could Wehrmacht give any meaning to this tag? Like combat troop?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X