Family Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Information

I'm just looking for suggestions on identifying a person. My family moved here from Germany in the 60's. My mother told me of an Aunt who was married to an SS General (probably not, but that's how the story goes). Basically, her aunt and the SS person took poison toward the end of the war. Recently, after doing some casual genealogy, I came across a police report for my aunt. The document listed carbon monoxide poison as the cause of death, but listed her as single. My mom talked to other family members and they swear she was married. I was hoping to find out who she married, but this kind of puts things into question.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Reichpaper; 07-17-2018, 01:42 PM.

In the official certificate of death she is n o t married (" Die Verstorbene war nicht

verheiratet ")

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
      In the official certificate of death she is n o t married (" Die Verstorbene war nicht

verheiratet ")

Gerdan
      I read that. They might have had good reasons to say she was single. Assuming they had to ask the family whether she was married, where she was born, etc. I'm not sure what resources the police had at that time to collect this information.

Comment

Dying of CO most likely happens through fire. Familienmord it says at the bottom. Otherwise one could think fire caused by bombing. Perhaps they had a fireplace and someone closed the damper? Perhaps the family didnĀ“t like her being involved with an SS officer?

Comment

Reicaper

as you see your aunt was listed in the death certificate with her family name Dettmann which was

also the name of her parents because they referre to her birth certificate Standesamt (Hamburg)

Rahlstedt Nr. 9 / 1916.

If she would have been married when she died she would have had the family name of her

husband. So it was the law in Germany. And the Registration office (Standesamt) received also

the information on her birth certificate. When a person was married the Standesamt of the

marriage had to give this Information (of the marriage) directly the Stasndesamt of the birth

place and a note had to be made on the birth entry giving information where (which Standesamt

in which year and under which registration number) the marriage took place.

Nothing of all happened to your aunt's entry. The original Standesamt documents from all

Hamburg Registration Offices survived the war and had been present when she died.

So you can be sure that she was not married.

Gerdan

which registration number

Comment

Reichpaper, sorry I had a problem with my PC - so I did not write your correct name.

Also the last line in my answer has to be deleted.

Example for an marriage entry in the birth certificate (4):

http://www.archive.nrw.de/lav/servic...ndsarchive.pdf

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
              Reichpaper, sorry I had a problem with my PC - so I did not write your correct name.

Also the last line in my answer has to be deleted.

Example for an marriage entry in the birth certificate (4):

http://www.archive.nrw.de/lav/servic...ndsarchive.pdf

Gerdan
              Thanks you for the clarifications Gerdan. Appreciated. My mom had a chance to talk to her cousin, who has more familiarity with the story. You are correct, she was not married. She was having an affair with a high ranking (probably just an officer) SS officer. She had his child, and she committed suicide with her 3 year old daughter. Which is what the Familienmord references. I've run into quite a few deaths in my family tree at 1 year old, going back to the 1700's, but this is tragic. My next step will be to locate the birth certificate and hope a father is mentioned.

Comment

Boda's police report.
                Attached Files

Comment

Reichpaper

normally in the death certificate are named both parents father and mother.

In your case it seems that the mother did not give the name of the baby, not
                  even in the birth certificate.

A mother can not be forced to give the name of the
                  child's father. So it seems to be in your case.

A very tragic situation.

Gerdan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X