Regimental histories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regimental histories

Looking for a site or source in English for WWII German Army regiments. When I sesrch, all I find is Divisions of more specific units.

Army Regiments

Andrew,
    regiments or smaller units ... this would be one of the best online sites but in German.

http://lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/inha...liederungH.htm

not sure if there are any in English that handle regiments.

Comment

Apart from a couple relating to panzer regiments (Knights Cross Panzers and Panzers in the Sand) and Sapaeter's history of Grossdeutschland that covers its period as an Infantry Regiment, German regimental histories in English are practically non-existent.

Comment

Thanks!
        I purchased these in a group as my entry group into research.
        I want to see what I can find on the soldier (first name Heinrich) and hi unit.

This is the entry from Lexikon wrbsite

Infanterie-Regiment 187

Aufgestellt am 26. August 1939 als Regiment der 2. Welle:Stab in Langensalza, I. Bataillon in Erfurt, II. in Gotha und III. in Bad Berka durch die 1. Panzer-Division und der 87. Infanterie-Division unterstellt. Am 15. Oktober 1940 wurde der Stab und das III. Bataillon an das Infanterie-Regiment 582 abgegeben und ersetzt. Im Winter 1941/42 wurde das II. Bataillon aufgelöst und durch das III. Bataillon ersetzt. Am 15. Oktober 1942 wurde das Regiment in Grenadier-Regiment 187 umbenanntesearch
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Wartime Collectables; 05-11-2018, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Bogislav von Studnitz

I believe this was the officer signing the EKII Urkunde:

https://www.tracesofwar.com/persons/...lhelm.htm?c=aw

Here is von Studnitz as Militärattachée Polen: https://audiovis.nac.gov.pl//obraz/84706/

Originally posted by Wartime Collectables View Post
          Thanks!
          I purchased these in a group as my entry group into research.
          I want to see what I can find on the soldier (first name Heinrich) and hi unit.

This is the entry from Lexikon wrbsite

Infanterie-Regiment 187

Aufgestellt am 26. August 1939 als Regiment der 2. Welle:Stab in Langensalza, I. Bataillon in Erfurt, II. in Gotha und III. in Bad Berka durch die 1. Panzer-Division und der 87. Infanterie-Division unterstellt. Am 15. Oktober 1940 wurde der Stab und das III. Bataillon an das Infanterie-Regiment 582 abgegeben und ersetzt. Im Winter 1941/42 wurde das II. Bataillon aufgelöst und durch das III. Bataillon ersetzt. Am 15. Oktober 1942 wurde das Regiment in Grenadier-Regiment 187 umbenanntesearch
          Last edited by Schulterklappen; 05-11-2018, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Excellent, thank you! Again, novice question...
            In the unit designation I./ I.R. 187
            I assume the first "I./" indicates First Battalion?
            I attempted to look up my soldier on a German site listing KIA's but the language barrior stopped me after the initial page.

Comment

You may well be able to get a reasonably detailed idea of the circumstances around his service and wounding in august '41. It will, however, take some effort and a knowledge of German.

The online resources you've found, such as they are, can of course be translated to English at the click of a button, not perfect, but adequate to understand the text.

But you're looking for not just a regiment in reality, but a specific company within that regiment if you want to get down to the real details.

From the division's page on the Lexikon you will see references to both published worsk and archive references at BAMA (The German national archives)
              If you really want to put in the leg work, this is the route to follow.

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...ionen/87ID.htm

It can be a very rewarding project and i hope you decide to follow it even though it can seem a little overwhelming at first.

Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Numerals

Originally posted by Wartime Collectables View Post
                Excellent, thank you! Again, novice question...
                In the unit designation I./ I.R. 187
                I assume the first "I./" indicates First Battalion?
                I attempted to look up my soldier on a German site listing KIA's but the language barrior stopped me after the initial page.
                A Roman numeral "I" would represent the first battalion.

An Arabic numeral "1" would represent the first company.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X