X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Research of an officer

I have an entry in the Rangliste des Deutschen Heeres 1944/45

It reads
    Oberstleutnante Höhne z.Verf.Ob.d.H. (Sonst Offz) (I) 1.9.43 (42)

I have been trying to decipher all the abbreviations and have come up with the following.

Leutenant Colonel Höhne zur Verfügung Oberbefehlshaber des Heeres (Sonderdienst Offizier) (I)? 1st Sept 1943 (52)?

Translated to
    Leutenant Colonel Höhne available to the commander in chief of the army (special services officer) (I) 1st Sept 1943 (52)

Am I close, if so what does (I) mean and (52) mean, if anybody can help me I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

Gary
    Attached Files

Hi Gary,
    Refer to page 372 of the list I assume you have. (1944/45 Keilig list)

I think this is the answer to the "I" part of your question.

Cheers
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello !

I think you are very close with the deciphering and translation :

I think it should be :
      Oberstleutnant Höhne zur Verfügung Ob.d.Heeres (Sonstige Offiziere) (I) 1.9.43 (52)

Translation :
      1.) Leutenant Colonel Höhne at disposal of Oberbefehlshaber des Heeres (Officers without special assignment)
      Whether Ob. refers to Oberbefehlshaber or: Stab of Ob.d.H. etc., I am not sure. IMO, it should point to the fact,
      that this officer is available for all kind of duties.

2.) (I): This should be the weapons branch: I = Infantry, A = Artillery etc.
      3.) 1st Sept 1943 (52) : This is his RDA (Rangdienstalter) [I do not know the corresponding term in US Army]
      I think the point is :
      There might be occasions, where officers with the same rank are struggling who should be the one to decide.
      Usually, Officers which had been promoted earlier would be the ones. As there were several Oberstleutnante,
      promoted on the same date (1.9.43), they were given an additional number, e.g. (52).
      Those with lower numbers in brackets should be higher ranked.

This would be the theoretical explanation. I am not sure, whether these questions (same rank) ever became relevant.
      It would be great of course, if someone could explain in more detail.

Best regards,

Archi

P.S.: Good point by monty !

Comment

i am indeed indebted to you both for your very helpful insights, I appreciate the help.
        Cheers

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Archi View Post
          3.) 1st Sept 1943 (52) : This is his RDA (Rangdienstalter) [I do not know the corresponding term in US Army]
          I think the point is :
          There might be occasions, where officers with the same rank are struggling who should be the one to decide.
          Usually, Officers which had been promoted earlier would be the ones. As there were several Oberstleutnante,
          promoted on the same date (1.9.43), they were given an additional number, e.g. (52).
          Those with lower numbers in brackets should be higher ranked.
          Correct. The number is very important and decided when one was promoted. The lower number at first of course. It depended on your performance in training, duty (and later war) of course. Today we dont have such a number system in our army. But you get notes that fullfill the same purpose.

Comment

I don't know if you were more interested in the abbreviations in general or Höhne himself, but he was Justus Alexander Ignatz Höhne, born on 28.05.1897 in Matzen, Wien, Österreich. He was a former Austrian officer taken over by the Wehrmacht. His dates of rank were:

01.10.1939 mit Wirkung v. 01.07.1939 Hauptmann (RDA 01.05.1934)
            01.09.1940 Major
            01.09.1943 Oberstleutnant

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X