Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italy - Futa Pass Defense Line 1944

Hi all,

Has any of my forum colleagues information, what units manned the Panther turret position in Santa Lucia/Futa Pass- Highway 65 (now SR65) as well as the Pak/Artillery bunker in Panna just near Santa Lucia? it could be Festungs-Kompanie 2 but I am not sure. Futa Pass was attacked by the US The 362nd Infantry Regiment Sept 10 to Sept 21, 1944.

Any help is appreciated,

Regards

Juerg
    Strength and Honour
    http://standwheretheyfought.jimdo.com/

Ask to member Mufasa. He knows certainly.

Comment

I have many of material, photos and news about the Pantherturm, but only of the Gothic Line around Rimini, but here we on the SS 65 between Bologna and Florence and who can give you best help is my my friends Ironcrowm (I remember oin ne of our recent conversations, precisely on his research on the units of this Pantherturm)

sure you already know these photos of Bundesarchiv from the SS 65 Pantherturm
      Attached Files

Comment

I'll pass some data in the meantime

On the Italian front, there would be 18 turrets at the end of 1943, and another 26 in 1944.

those used for fortifications on the Gothic line were mounted between Pesaro and Rimini to the south, and on the strategic Futa Pass (the main road between Florence and Bologna)

At the beginning the crews were mixed (artillerymen and soldiers of the fortifications) and this can explain the little resistance of some Pantherturm, while those later guarded by more motivated soldiers (for example that of Tavullia in Pesaro, or those of the airport or San Giuliano in Rimini, taken by the paratroopers) caused many losses to the British tankers.

the Festungs- (Pantherturm) Kp. 1 (29.4.1944 bei H.Gr. C aufgestellt und etatisiert) was located between Rimini and Pesaro

while the Festungs- (Pantherturm) Kp. 2 (30.7.1944 bei H.Gr. C aufgestellt und etatisiert) was located between Porretta and Passo della Futa (south of Bologna)

both from autumn 1944, when the front was stabilized south of Bologna, they change (if I understand) they change identification (and troop composition: more anti-tank soldiers, and less "festungs" man)

Festungs- (Pantherturm) Kp. 1209 (Aufstellung gefordert durch Org.Abt. Am 19.11.1944 mit v.b. zum 31.12.1944)
        and
        Festungs- (Pantherturm) Kp. 1210 (Aufstellung gefordert durch Org.Abt. Am 19.11.1944 mit v.b. zum 31.12.1944)

Comment

Originally posted by Jürg View Post
          Hi all,

Has any of my forum colleagues information, what units manned the Panther turret position in Santa Lucia/Futa Pass- Highway 65 (now SR65) as well as the Pak/Artillery bunker in Panna just near Santa Lucia? it could be Festungs-Kompanie 2 but I am not sure. Futa Pass was attacked by the US The 362nd Infantry Regiment Sept 10 to Sept 21, 1944.

Any help is appreciated,

Regards

Juerg
          always waiting for confirmation of Ironcrown (who lives nearby)

I think this is the posizions:

GPS: 44° 03' 44''N,11°17'32''E 653 asl

from this site:

https://standwheretheyfought.jimdo.c...-then-and-now/
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks

Hi Mufasa
            I am the owner of stand where they fought Website and was at the exactly Location 3 Times. I also Know Ironcrown personally, however WE both Do Not Know what Unit was in the Panna Gun Bunker.
            Thanks anyway For your Info.
            I Go back to Futa Pass in April

Juerg
            Strength and Honour
            http://standwheretheyfought.jimdo.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jürg View Post
              Hi Mufasa
              I am the owner of stand where they fought Website and was at the exactly Location 3 Times. I also Know Ironcrown personally, however WE both Do Not Know what Unit was in the Panna Gun Bunker.
              Thanks anyway For your Info.
              I Go back to Futa Pass in April

Juerg
              then you are already in excellent hands!! :

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X