121 I.D. after April 1.945

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

121 I.D. after April 1.945

I am trying to figure what happen with this division in the last moments of WW II, according to all the info I have obtained she was in Kurland and surrender there marching into captivity, but in all my books I can not find she listed as a unit during the surrender in May 8th, 1.945.

Was she disbanded in the final weeks of the war? what happened to her?

Thanks

Angel
    Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Hi, the last commander of 121.Inf.Division was Generalmajor Ottomar Hansen (best award, DkiG received as Oberleutnant, Kdr. Panzergrenadier-Regiment 103/14.Pz.Division, 23/01/1944) .

The last "position" sees this division subjected to X.Armeekorps/18.Armee/Heeresgruppe Kurland, south of Libau. The Division surrenders to the Soviet forces.

Comment

Thanks a lot, my main concern is that I see on March 1st, 1.945 Order of Battle from Heeresgruppe Kurland as Kampfgruppe 121 with 18 Armee and on March 20th as 121 I.D. with X Korps, 18 Armee, Heeresgruppe Kurland, but not listed as a division when Heeresgruppe Kurland surrender on May 8th.

Angel
      Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

Originally posted by Angel Farré View Post
        Thanks a lot, my main concern is that I see on March 1st, 1.945 Order of Battle from Heeresgruppe Kurland as Kampfgruppe 121 with 18 Armee and on March 20th as 121 I.D. with X Korps, 18 Armee, Heeresgruppe Kurland, but not listed as a division when Heeresgruppe Kurland surrender on May 8th.

Angel
        Yes, i'm agree, i don't have found nothing after April 1945. It's more a confuse situation, you have the original book of division? (Geschichte der 121. ostpreußischen Infanterie-Division 1940 - 1945). Now i see on my book of Werner Haupt on Kurland.

Lage Karte Kurland dated 1 April 1945

Comment

I have not the book, just I am researching a couple of groups I have from this division and found that no info at the end of the war that shows the division as a whole unit at the time of surrender and the puzzle me as we know that the member of this division were taken POW in Kurland.

Angel

Comment

Originally posted by Angel Farré View Post
            I have not the book, just I am researching a couple of groups I have from this division and found that no info at the end of the war that shows the division as a whole unit at the time of surrender and the puzzle me as we know that the member of this division were taken POW in Kurland.

Angel
            Mmm...yes, i have your same info, this division was end the war as Kampfgruppe

Comment

If you don't have received my pm, i send you this two page files about 121.Inf.Division, enjoy

Comment

Thanks a lot, this answer a lot of questions.

Angel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X