Seeking Help for a Friend Whose Father was killed in Estonia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking Help for a Friend Whose Father was killed in Estonia

I have a German friend that I first met in 1953. His father was killed 8 km southeast of Torva, Estonia, on 14 Sep 1944 – the first day of the Soviet Riga offensive. I am trying to put together a record of the awards and insignia that his father would have been entitled to wear. His father was in the Luftwaffe. The last rank that the family knew of was Feldwebel; however, a recently discovered official record of death indicates that at his death he was a Zugführer. From the official record we know that his last assignment with the Luftwaffe was at Deblin-Irena, Poland, where he was stationed with the Feldersatz-Bataillon der Luftwaffe 5, which in October 1943 was transferred to the Army as Feld-Ersatz-Bataillon 5 (L). Deblin Irena was overrun by the Soviets 26 July 1944. After a brief leave home in August my friend’s father was dispatched to the Baltic front and his death. My research suggests that as a Zugführer he likely commanded a platoon of Volkssturmmann. There is reason to believe that my friend’s father was in the Luftwaffe since at least 1939. His “Erkennungsmarke” was ”-42-1./Luff.Nachr.Schule.”

If his entire service was with the same unit, its organizational history would have been: Flieger-Ersatz-Abteilung 82, reformed 1 Mar 1939 in Krems-Feuersbrunn and redesignated I./Flieger-Ausbildungs-Regiment 24 on 1 Apr 1939 at Quakenbrück. It moved to Cottbus in November 1939 and then formed as the Ausbildungs-Bataillon in 1940. In Oct 1941 it moved to Posen. On 16 Aug 1942 it was redesignated Flieger-Regiment 82 and in Oct 1942 it was redesignated Feldausbildungs-Regiment der Luftwaffe 5. In Jan 1943 it was formed in Deblin-Irena as Luftgau VIII.

Any help any identifying the militaria insignia that would have been associated with this man and his service will be deeply appreciated. Thanks!

This topic belongs in the "Order of Battle and Individual Research forum"...
    Maybe a Moderator can move it to that area.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
    X