Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was the duty of German Troops during the Summer/Fall of 1941 in Russia

Hello everyone,

I've been skimming the internet, even picked up a book or two regarding operation Barbarossa hoping to find information on what the role of an average platoon would have been during the first few months of Barbarossa. If anyone would be able to share their knowledge on any of these questions it would be greatly appreciated. For anyone curious as to why I ask, I'm trying to make a very historically accurate animation series over the next couple years, and am looking to buff up the scripts

1.) What was the role of an infantry platoon? Did they participate in "trench warfare" early into the invasion? We're they mostly marching and capturing villages and cities... or..?

2.) When and where was "trench warfare" present in the east between 1941-1942 if at all?

3.) What happened to soviet prisoners during the blitz? Were they sent back to the rear? Executed?

4.) Were there any sizeable Soviet resistance or counterattscks before December 5th, 1941?

5.) Was the fighting deadlier in Northern, Central, or Southern Russia?

These are just a few that come to mind, any information is helpful, thank you in advance!

On point 2 the answer is yes there was. Perhaps elsewhere too but on the Karelian and Murmansk fronts the fighting settled down to static warfare by oct.41.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Point 3) Both. Even for the millions that were captured during Barbarossa and sent to the rear the future was very bleak.

Point 4) Yes there was. The fighting for Smolensk springs to mind. Pick up a copy of Barbarossa Derailed Vol 1 & 2 by David Glantz for good coverage of the fighting in that area.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X