Seek info a Member of 5th Mountain Division

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seek info a Member of 5th Mountain Division

Gent,ss I am seeking information on Lt Michael Kirchmann, Gebirgsjager Regt 100, 5th Mountain Division. I know he fought in Crete and, I believe he was awarded the German Cross in Gold for that action. He was killed on the Leningrad front. Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rich

Originally posted by Rich Landy View Post
    I know he fought in Crete and, I believe he was awarded the German Cross in Gold for that action.
    The german cross was only instituted at 28th september 1941, so 4 month after crete.

Comment

Michael Kirchmann won the DKiG as an Oberfeldwebel with 3./Gebirgsjäger-Rgt 100 on 16th October 1942.

Comment

Gents, this is most helpful. According to a family member Michael and a very small group = part of his squad at the time - captured over100 British troops on Crete. the story goes he came around a corner and they were having lunch. He disarmed them and put them in a church until reinforcements arrived. I assumed he received the DCIG for that action. So, based on Gran Sasso's comment and the much later date, I think Michael probably did other feats in the Leningrad area which would closer match the award. He was subsequently promoted to Leutnant - I have a photo in an Officer's uniform. But was later killed on the Russian front. Any way to locate a write up on what accomplishment warranted the DCIG? Thanks Rich

Comment

In some cases recommendations for the DKiG are still around, whether his is i wouldn't know but it was usual for the DKiG to be a cumulative award so i wouldn't be surprised in the least if his actions on Crete went in to the recommendation, but those actions should have been after the award of the EKI.
          Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X