griffinmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kurt Breiksch-4th Grenadier Replacement Battalion help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kurt Breiksch-4th Grenadier Replacement Battalion help?

Hello forum. I was able to pick up a nice camoed German helmet this summer brought home by a US GI. Inside on the liner was inked the name K. Breiksch, a very uncommon German name. I have friends in Germany who work in the museum system and asked them to do some research and they found that there was one match and he was in the 4th Grenadier Replacement Battalion. I would like to know, what regiment this battalion served with. Thanks for any and all help.
    Paul

The short answer is, it didn't. It's a training and depot unit, a soldier would normally have been sent to a field unit after basic training. Generally speaking a replacement unit fed specific field units but that was far from always being the case. Gren.Ers.Btl.4 itself was thrown in to the line in early 45, but in the east, so thats a dead end.
    Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thank you.

Originally posted by Simon O. View Post
      The short answer is, it didn't. It's a training and depot unit, a soldier would normally have been sent to a field unit after basic training. Generally speaking a replacement unit fed specific field units but that was far from always being the case. Gren.Ers.Btl.4 itself was thrown in to the line in early 45, but in the east, so thats a dead end.
      I really appreciate your help Simon. Is there anywhere else to go to try and follow this lead?
      Thanks again for your time.
      Paul

Comment

Well, where did your contacts get their information? If it's from the Deutsche Dienststelle it's probably as much as you're going to get unless he was killed.
        Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Info.

I'm not 100% sure where to be honest. I know they were looking through old records and even some post war newspaper accounts with other people with that last name. They said that even today there are only a handful of people with that same name.
          Paul

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X