Battle of Nancy US KIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battle of Nancy US KIA

Hi I am looking for what German units fought at Nancy and Metz, September 15-30 1944. Especially between Leyr and Fresnes east of the Meurthe river. The more specific the better.

I am trying to find out who my mother's cousin faced in this area.

Arthur Kettel, C company 134th Infantry Regiment, 35th Infantry Division, KIA on September 29, 1944 buried at Lorraine American Cemetery.

Thanks

Originally posted by Lee Luke View Post
    Hi I am looking for what German units fought at Nancy and Metz, September 15-30 1944. Especially between Leyr and Fresnes east of the Meurthe river. The more specific the better.

I am trying to find out who my mother's cousin faced in this area.

Arthur Kettel, C company 134th Infantry Regiment, 35th Infantry Division, KIA on September 29, 1944 buried at Lorraine American Cemetery.

Thanks
    As far as i know these units fought at the Nancy area. Might not be complete.
    * 553 VGD
    * 3.Pz.Gr.Div.
    * FJ-Ers.u.Ausb.Rgt. 3
    * Parts of 15.Pz.Gr.Div.
    * Flieger-Regiment 92
    I'm collecting anything related to the towns Castricum and Bakkum during WWII.
    Also soldbucher from 116pzdiv. And 1944-1945 eastfront pockets, kampfgruppe and Oder front.
    My website: Gotrick.nl

Comment

Thanks, any good sources that could narrow down to regimental level and specific locations?

Comment

Hello

It s all detailed here, a long and interesting story

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA...orraine-5.html

And here are several photos of your mother s cousin war mates, who knows...

http://www.coulthart.com/134/photo_index.htm#unit
        sigpic

-=Always looking for French cadets infos at Shaw Field South Carolina 1944=-

Comment

Hello !

That is certainly an interesting timeframe with a lot of combat going on.
          In addition to the units mentioned by Rick Admiraal, Sturmbtl. AOK 1 and Fsjg. Art.Rgt. 12
          were also committed in that area (and certainly there are more ...).

The complications to find precise info arise, because the frontlines were moving a lot and especially,
          almost every attack was answered by a counterattack. For that, the Germans threw their
          more mobile forces from one end of the front to the other, to close gaps or to field counterattacks.
          (I'll attach a map with the movements of Pz.Brig. 106 for that time, which shows that very well.)
          What adds to the problem, is that the Germans very often formed battlegroups, composed
          of a mixture of units (see an an example below).

The link from Plainview with the photos, also has a lot of After Action Reports from the 35. ID
          and its different elements. While that one for 314th IR is rather poor, some of the others have
          much more detailed informations.

I tried to figure out the rough positions of I. Btl./314th Inf.Rgt. for the last few days before
          he was KIA and then tried to find some info on the opposing units on the German side.
          The best German source I found, is the Divisional history of 3. Pz.Gren.Div.

24.9.1944:
          I. Btl./134th IR was temporarily attached to 6th Arm.Div., which should have been in the area around
          Arraye-et-Han.
          This area was attacked by II./Gren.Rgt 1120 (553. VGD), supported by KGr. Hinzpeter (Kdr. Pz.Abt. 103)
          with 3 StuG, 7./Art.Rgt 3, 3 PzJg. from 1./PzJg.Abt. 3, a Pz-Spähwagen platoon of Pz.Aufkl.Abt. 103
          and 1 platoon of Pi.Btl. 3.
          The battlegroup Hinzpeter retook Han and tried to advance to Armaucourt the next day, but was repelled.
          This KGr. was then redeployed to Aulnois on the 26.9. (now led by Oblt. Schwäpenheuer) and supported
          an attack of 553. VGD on Fossieux on the 27.9., which was taken (but Oblt. Schwäpenheuer fell).
          [All that could have been roughly in the area of 134th IR]

From 27.9. onward, the Germans concentrated their efforts on the Foret de Cremecy. 3. Pz.Gren.Div.
          supported those attacks with some of its forces.

28.-29.9.1944:
          German Positions were secured by 1./PzJg.Abt. 3 (at Jallaucourt) and by 3./PzJg.Abt. 3 (at Malaucourt,
          opposite of Manhoue, held by I./134th IR).
          So the attacks on that day (mentioned in the AAR of 35. ID), when he was KIA, were most likely
          from infantry of 553. VGD/3.PzGren-Div., perhaps supported by elements of the PzJg.Abt. and artillery.

The attachements show the movements of Pz.Brig. 106, as an example how difficult it is to track those units.
          The left part of the 2nd attachement shows some excerpts from AAR 35. ID, related to 134th Inf.Rgt. (on the left)
          and on the right a summary of those battles from the AAR report of XII. Corps, which I found quite interesting.

Best regards,

Archi
          Attached Files

Comment

Wow thank you guys! Exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X