• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

info needed on Rittm. von Waldow

Hello,

Once again im searching for info on the following officer :

Rittmeister Friedrich von Waldow / unit : AA. 218

I believe that this unit is the Aufklarungs Abteilung 218 , this officer received the German cross in Gold on 23.06.1942 ( and i believe this to be for his efforst into the pocket of Cholm )

This unit was certainly there also was a officer with the name " von Waldow " , the date is very close ( and we al know that these awards where mostly made afterwards a battle )

Does anyone know more about this particular officer , his further carreer , did he survive, etc ...

Thanks in helping to solve my Cholmaddiction
    my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

answering my own questions

Hello,

I just visited the website of the German wargraves and typed in this persons name, etc ...

Well it seems that i have found this brave officers fate => KIA on 10.06.1944 in the Normandy front , serving as a Major ( burried today at la Cambe Military cemetry )

Seems that my Cholmvet. did not survive the war , anyone who can add etra info on this officer ?

Cordial greetings,

Comment

Hello:
      The 1944/45 Rangliste des Deutschen Heeres lists the following officer whose particulars seem to match with the one you researched.
      -Major von Waldow, arm of service was Panzertruppe and peacetime affiliation was Pz.Rgt. 6, he was detached (kommandiert) to the General Staff, promotion dte to Major was 1.Feb.1944. He was then permanently assigned to the General Staff effective 1.Jun.1944. Promoted to Oberstlt. after death with effective date of 1.June 1944, it was apparently customary to date such posthumous promotion with a date of first calendar date of the month of death. It is my belief one can safely establish this officer to be the one in question.
      Bernhard H. Holst

Comment

von Waldow

Hello,

Thanks Bernhard , thats super Info => now a new task : my search to find a picture of this officer

Is anyone aware if there exist books regarding this unit : A.A. 218 ?

Cordial Greetings,
        Last edited by Stijn David; 09-19-2002, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Hello Stijn.
          Since the division to which AA 218 (also named Schnelle Abteilung 218) was part of the 218.Inf.Div. which existed throughout the war one may be able to find a division history. One about the AA 218 only is unlikely. It seems such histories (on battalion size units) were seldom done with exception of heavy tank/Sturmgeschuetz formations. So it may be worthwhile scanning the used book dealers. A picture may just be in such div. history. Best of luck in your endeavor.
          Bernhard H. Holst
          P.S. a three vol. reference book on General Staff officers of the army is in print but I do not think it contains pictures. B.H.H.

Comment

thanks Bernhard once again

Hello,

Thank you bernhard once again for helping me out => it seems that i have anotehr book on my wants list ( so if anyone has a original copy for sale => please contact me )

Cordial Greetings,

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X